Alabi transfer listed

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Re: Alabi transfer listed

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I genuinely think no clubs will come in for him and he will be here all season long, until this time next year .
Hope this summer's signings are better than last summer's
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 pm Dis sometimes you roll the dice and a 6 comes up, sometimes you don’t.
Very true.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

eagwgw wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm
Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 pm Dis sometimes you roll the dice and a 6 comes up, sometimes you don’t.
Not entirely accurate, I feel.

Given that we knew what he was like, it is more akin to us picking up a dice that we know doesn't have a 6 on, and throwing it expecting a 6.
If a team plays to his strengths I think he could cause problems. We never did, and actually most of the time played to his weaknesses. He isn't a hold up player, nor is he any good at bringing others into play.

Koroma isn't either, but at least he can make a deeper role work as he can beat men and be direct, which has given us several really good goals.

I don't think it is really Alabi's fault, but we made a bad error in scouting.
Agreed which is what I said in reply to Bigron further up the thread.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 pm Doubt we’ll find anyone silly enough to pay a fee, to recoup the one we paid. A rare low from last season. Awful player for his level.
Our recruitment last summer was awful full stop, which makes what we’ve achieved even more remarkable.

I doubt anyone is expecting a fee to be involved. I’m pretty sure it will cost us something to unload him.
LOFC1948
Fresh Alias

Post by LOFC1948 »

He will get a club in the NL I reckon.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 pm Doubt we’ll find anyone silly enough to pay a fee, to recoup the one we paid. A rare low from last season. Awful player for his level.
Our recruitment last summer was awful full stop, which makes what we’ve achieved even more remarkable.

I doubt anyone is expecting a fee to be involved. I’m pretty sure it will cost us something to unload him.
Well even big George got fitted up with a team till the end of the season when we released him !!
If Alabi had a team come in for him, I am thinking it would be on less wages to what he was getting at the Os, so would not be surprised if it will end up, even if initially, as a loan out to another Club with the Os paying a percentage of his wages.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Big George was alright Sid, he copped a lot of stick from mostly people off this board, but he played well against us that’s for sure. Time moves on for everyone and his time was up.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 pm Ron if the team play to his strengths which is a ball over the top or direct football he will do well. Too many times with us his back was to the goal and that’s not his strength.
Like this !!

Chester FC striker James Alabi scores 4 goals in first 45 minutes

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:02 pm Big George was alright Sid, he copped a lot of stick from mostly people off this board, but he played well against us that’s for sure. Time moves on for everyone and his time was up.
Wonder who ( if) Big George will play for next season.
Notice that Mooney ended up playing for Harlow Town this season, I believe they got relegated ?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Alabi is nowhere near the worst striker we've ever had at Orient. I wonder did we just not play to his strengths. ? . However , I think it's the right decision to let him go .
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Back to back promotions on his CV should help. I actually saw him play a few times which is odd as I only saw 3 matches all season (1 pre season). He had a decent finish, but was rarely in the right place at the right time. If that could be coached into him I think he could do alright at National League level.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Adz wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:38 am Back to back promotions on his CV should help. I actually saw him play a few times which is odd as I only saw 3 matches all season (1 pre season). He had a decent finish, but was rarely in the right place at the right time. If that could be coached into him I think he could do alright at National League level.
Fast but 2 left feet and could not trap a dustbin. His main strength is to give him long balls over the top to chase.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Agreed, Sid. Like that struggling Chester team where he bagged some goals, he’d be better suited to one of the also-ran sides that defend in depth and hit long balls down the channels to 1 up top. Will be amazed if this gets sorted without us subbing some of his wages next season, but good luck to him.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 pm
Thor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:02 pm Big George was alright Sid, he copped a lot of stick from mostly people off this board, but he played well against us that’s for sure. Time moves on for everyone and his time was up.
Notice that Mooney ended up playing for Harlow Town this season, I believe they got relegated ?
Don't Harlow have a super amazing leftback? Can't believe they could have been relegated.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 pm

No chance of a fee for sure. Maybe a loan deal could be the best we can get with us paying some of his salary.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

His contribution was very limited, you can't say he even had ability in the air for a man his size. In saying that he did pop up with some important goals, not many mind you.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

He was bad in the air.

Should have been released as well but perhaps the club propaganda machine could not enough find enough media highlights or think of enough nice things to say. It'll be amazing if a club of a decent size comes in for him, and like others have said we might have to just pay part of his wage. Maybe a move back to Chester would suit him?

The only explanation for him signing really is Edinburgh remarking how effective Akinfenwa was (17 goals, 14 assists at League Two level) and instructing the scouts to go out and find us a non-league version.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

He allowed Coulson two free headers,thankfully.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 am
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 pm
Don't Harlow have a super amazing leftback? Can't believe they could have been relegated.
Christian Scales played for Harlow previous season when they ended up with a very good side, he was one of their best players and was given very good write ups most weeks in local paper match reports. This season nearly all that team left ( witness the really poor team of mainly youngsters and players on trial who played us pre season ! ) Justin Scales did not play for quite a while from the start of this season, then he left UK to join a Division 2 side in Sweden. Skillful player, but yet another young player not fulfilling his potential. He obviously had something about him to be a youth player at both Norwich and Crystal Palace and for us to sign him as well. Many young footballers at all levels are not 100% committed, get distracted with their social life and fail for various reasons to fulfill their potential.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Bloody hell, are people still going on about Christian Scales!?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I think the red card early in the season cost him, couldnt get back into the team after that. When he did come on he could cause problems and drew quite a few fouls. Not enough goals though unfortunately. Seems like a nice guy and wouldnt mind if he was 4th choice.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 am
He allowed Coulson two free headers,thankfully.
I think what people mean is he wasn't as bad as we had expected. Of course he wasn't a patch on any of our other centre halves, we've known that from 2017.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

eagwgw wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 am The only explanation for him signing really is Edinburgh remarking how effective Akinfenwa was (17 goals, 14 assists at League Two level) and instructing the scouts to go out and find us a non-league version.
That would be the *only explanation* if we knew that our scouts had a bad case of unconscious bias.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 am Alabi is nowhere near the worst striker we've ever had at Orient. I wonder did we just not play to his strengths. ? . However , I think it's the right decision to let him go .
No, that honour still goes to Michael Marks!
Blackadder
Fresh Alias

Post by Blackadder »

banqo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 am Alabi is nowhere near the worst striker we've ever had at Orient. I wonder did we just not play to his strengths. ? . However , I think it's the right decision to let him go .
No, that honour still goes to Michael Marks!
I can't, for the life of me, ever remember Michael Marks playing for us. Now, James Scrowcroft, there was a bad one especially with all the experience he had.