Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Dohnut »

Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 pm United Kingdom COVID-19 infections by date reported.

There were 1,114,625 (+45%) more tests to see if a person has the virus in July than in June.

With a large amount of targeted testing being carried out in hotspots, an increase in infections is to be expected.

PHE reported 936 new cases today it's actually 825 but once again they have sided 111 from last week....shambolic.
I would be amazed if any of the internationally reported figures are that accurate. That numbers missed from a previous week are picked up, which has happened on a few occasions, suggests our reporting has checks and balances to make it as accurate as possible. Or as misleading as possible. I see picking up on past omissions as quite positive given the complexity in compiling numbers.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

NuneatonO's wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:28 pm Particularly in this day and age, I think that purely basing older age against a perceived fitness level, isn't neccessarily correct.

At 56, I would take a bet that I'm a darn sight fitter than many people that I see in their 40's (possibly even younger). I don't eat cr@p; and exercise two hours at least, each day. Particularly since giving up the fags two years ago, I've found a new lease of life.

That said, would I survive Covid-19 infection? Who knows, given that I had lung surgery in 2018.
This is the problem, lots of older people just don’t realise they’re older. A 56 year old that has looked after themselves throughout their life - never mind one that smoked up until they were 54 and has had lung surgery - just isn’t as healthy and their body isn’t as able to fight this illness as a 30 year old. It’s just how it is. The body deteriorates over the years.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

AckneyAwks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm My job is quite physical i am in my sixties but i know that i not only match younger guys in doing the job but i am actually better than most both in physical, stamina and endurance.
Most young guys have short spurts of "Look at me" and then dissapear. Probably more of a attitude and lack of determination on thier part. They probably grow up in a environment where people give them false praise and in the real world they get found out.
Waiting for the backlash from the "Youth" but to counteract that i would say the generation before me were probably more determined and hard working than my generation.
If you have no discipline in society you get what you deserve.
Not sure you can fight this illness with your superior mental attitude.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

AckneyAwks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm My job is quite physical i am in my sixties but i know that i not only match younger guys in doing the job but i am actually better than most both in physical, stamina and endurance.
Most young guys have short spurts of "Look at me" and then dissapear. Probably more of a attitude and lack of determination on thier part. They probably grow up in a environment where people give them false praise and in the real world they get found out.
Waiting for the backlash from the "Youth" but to counteract that i would say the generation before me were probably more determined and hard working than my generation.
If you have no discipline in society you get what you deserve.
Right. So those who have died could have lived if they had your self-discipline?

Interesting.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

kokomO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm I tell you something, you could be in your 60’s and feel younger then people do in there 30’s & 40’s. :roll:
I am in my 60's and i would think i am as fit or fitter than most under 50's on here. So PW as always is talking out of his backside.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Dohnut wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 pm United Kingdom COVID-19 infections by date reported.

There were 1,114,625 (+45%) more tests to see if a person has the virus in July than in June.

With a large amount of targeted testing being carried out in hotspots, an increase in infections is to be expected.

PHE reported 936 new cases today it's actually 825 but once again they have sided 111 from last week....shambolic.
I would be amazed if any of the internationally reported figures are that accurate. That numbers missed from a previous week are picked up, which has happened on a few occasions, suggests our reporting has checks and balances to make it as accurate as possible. Or as misleading as possible. I see picking up on past omissions as quite positive given the complexity in compiling numbers.
The way cases and deaths are reported is shambolic, Scotland are able to make accurate reports and only count Covid deaths as people having passed away who had Covid in the last 28 days acknowleding people recover, but using the PHE method to determine the numbers of deaths means we will have over 305,000 deaths (and counting) in time because they assume everyone who has had Covid at one time will have it mentioned on the death certificate, so deaths will be the same as cases. No data on people recovered which they promised to provide and they find it impossible to collate data in a timely manner, we pour millions into the PHE every year and they find dozens of cases/deaths every week that haven't been recorded, Staggeringly inept.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Story of O wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:19 pm
kokomO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm I tell you something, you could be in your 60’s and feel younger then people do in there 30’s & 40’s. :roll:
I am in my 60's and i would think i am as fit or fitter than most under 50's on here. So PW as always is talking out of his backside.
And another one.

If you are in your 60s, you will not be in as good shape to fight this disease as a 50 year old.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Come on then educate me why not.
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Maybe i mis-read the conversation my argument was more about the fitness and well being of people who shall we say are regarded as senior.
As regards covid all i know is what i am told that older people are more at risk. During this pandemic i have yet to know of anyone of my aquaitances whether that be family, friends or work colleagues who have caught or died from the virus.
And for that i am truely grateful and offer my deepest sympathies to others who have been affected.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Story of O wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:03 am Come on then educate me why not.
I believe it's because of a decline in the immune system. The death data doesn't tell us how fit each person felt.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

RedO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:58 pm
And another one.

If you are in your 60s, you will not be in as good shape to fight this disease as a 50 year old.
Absolute tosh that.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:16 am
I believe it's because of a decline in the immune system. The death data doesn't tell us how fit each person felt.
Backed by medical fact or just another wild assumption????
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

kokomO wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:16 am
Backed by medical fact or just another wild assumption????
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... g-the-data
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 8/fulltext

Just the lancet mate, perhaps they dont know what they're talking about though?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

This article is about children, which doesn’t cover the vast majority of people under 50.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Read both articles properly.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 am This article is about children, which doesn’t cover the vast majority of people under 50.
mentally it covers a lot of people on this board then.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

kokomO wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am
RedO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:58 pm

And another one.

Absolute tosh that.
The tens of thousands of deaths suggest otherwise.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

The millions of others alive and healthy would also suggest otherwise. That generalised sweep doesn't back up your argument that people in their 60's are more fragile than people in their 50's. There will be hundreds of thousands of people in their 60's who are healthier and stronger than people in their 50's. Underlying health conditions, medical history, fitness levels, healthier eating, smoking and alcohol would all be contributors to that. That would also include stronger immune systems.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ok mate, you’re superman, it won’t get you. 👍
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

kokomO wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am The millions of others alive and healthy would also suggest otherwise. That generalised sweep doesn't back up your argument that people in their 60's are more fragile than people in their 50's. There will be hundreds of thousands of people in their 60's who are healthier and stronger than people in their 50's. Underlying health conditions, medical history, fitness levels, healthier eating, smoking and alcohol would all be contributors to that. That would also include stronger immune systems.
Then you must also accept that there are people in their 60's with worse health than people in their 70s.

Bottom line is that the older you are then more likely you are to die from covid-19.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Of course age is a contributor, but the arguement is, is it a bigger one than general health, lifestyle, ethnicity, poverty..........
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am
kokomO wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 am The millions of others alive and healthy would also suggest otherwise. That generalised sweep doesn't back up your argument that people in their 60's are more fragile than people in their 50's. There will be hundreds of thousands of people in their 60's who are healthier and stronger than people in their 50's. Underlying health conditions, medical history, fitness levels, healthier eating, smoking and alcohol would all be contributors to that. That would also include stronger immune systems.
Then you must also accept that there are people in their 60's with worse health than people in their 70s.

Bottom line is that the older you are then more likely you are to die from covid-19.
Rubbish!
Who is more at risk? 63 year old Me, who runs 100 miles a month, cycles 300 miles a month, has never smoked and hardly drinks or a 30 year old who is overweight, smokes, drinks and never exercises.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

You.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

If you old fogies want to risk your life by not isolating then thats up to you.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

RedO wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 am Ok mate, you’re superman, it won’t get you. 👍
Ok where have I stated anything that makes me superman? Just stating facts that aren't necessarily related to me. You're also automatically assuming I'm in that age bracket that we're discussing anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️