With a minimum of 4 games to go...

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

yumyumO
Fresh Alias

With a minimum of 4 games to go...

Post by yumyumO »

What is the acceptable outcome to make this a successful season?
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: With a minimum of 4 games to go...

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Winning.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Promotion. Doesn't matter if in playoffs or not.

Anything else has not been a success.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Promotion is all that matters.
yumyumO
Fresh Alias

Post by yumyumO »

however if the wheels should come off...
would having the club in safer hands, the development of the younger players and hopefully the departure of some of the 'rash' signings
be of any consequence?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Promotion, obviously. Cant help but think if its not automatic, it won't happen. Not because we aren't good enough; we are but I think what they've put into the last few games and no doubt, the last 3 league games, if we come up short i think physically and psychologically, we will be shot.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

yumyumO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am What is the acceptable outcome to make this a successful season?
Acceptable as it stands right now.
Worst case scenario is to lose in play off and lose trophy final which despite being disappointing would be successful in comparison to the last couple of seasons. The important thing is to be competitive, and Os have been this season. That written, the sooner Orient get promoted the better. the biggest danger is doing what Wrexham have done and not managing to get back year after year.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

yumyumO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am however if the wheels should come off...
would having the club in safer hands, the development of the younger players and hopefully the departure of some of the 'rash' signings
be of any consequence?
You'd think if we didn't get promoted, Bonne, Ekpiteta and Koroma would be bought by bigger clubs. They are hardly going to be swayed that much if we were in the National League but had won the FA Trophy for example.

The club being in safer hands and departure of the duds would have happened whether we finished 2nd, or 20th. So this has no real bearing on it.

Finishing in the play-offs but not getting promoted would be an acceptable, but not successful season, hence Edinburgh should be backed in the summer properly this time around. IMO the root cause of us not being way clear in 1st was the staunch refusal to settle up any more players. It was rather obvious from last year that Mooney would not be able to contribute to a high standard in the League, therefore it was the right decision to let him go.

Why was this not the case for Lawless, Elokobi, Harrold, Lee? All the fans could see it, and I suspect the manager as well, particularly in the case of the first two players that these guys were too old and were not delivering what we were paying them for. It seems quite fitting that Lawless departs without a single League goal or assist in almost 50 games. Had Elokobi not blown up in the dressing room it seems likely he'd still be around. Harrold's collection of goals against part-timers has made his stats look better, but the reason Simpson came in was because him and Alabi could not be trusted to start a League game.

We should still finish top, but I hate reading all the stuff about 'this is the Orient way'. Had we settled the duds in December when we were well clear we would have run away with it. Arguably we have brought this upon ourselves, but I do think the lessons have been learned and the long-term future is bright.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

eagwgw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 pm
yumyumO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am however if the wheels should come off...
be of any consequence?
You'd think if we didn't get promoted, Bonne, Ekpiteta and Koroma would be bought by bigger clubs. They are hardly going to be swayed that much if we were in the National League but had won the FA Trophy for example.

The club being in safer hands and departure of the duds would have happened whether we finished 2nd, or 20th. So this has no real bearing on it.

Finishing in the play-offs but not getting promoted would be an acceptable, but not successful season, hence Edinburgh should be backed in the summer properly this time around. IMO the root cause of us not being way clear in 1st was the staunch refusal to settle up any more players. It was rather obvious from last year that Mooney would not be able to contribute to a high standard in the League, therefore it was the right decision to let him go.

Why was this not the case for Lawless, Elokobi, Harrold, Lee? All the fans could see it, and I suspect the manager as well, particularly in the case of the first two players that these guys were too old and were not delivering what we were paying them for. It seems quite fitting that Lawless departs without a single League goal or assist in almost 50 games. Had Elokobi not blown up in the dressing room it seems likely he'd still be around. Harrold's collection of goals against part-timers has made his stats look better, but the reason Simpson came in was because him and Alabi could not be trusted to start a League game.

We should still finish top, but I hate reading all the stuff about 'this is the Orient way'. Had we settled the duds in December when we were well clear we would have run away with it. Arguably we have brought this upon ourselves, but I do think the lessons have been learned and the long-term future is bright.
Lessons will certainly have been learned but like you I'm baffled by the lack of action to exit non performers and bring in replacements.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Wish i could still like posts. eagwgw is absolutely spot on. Summed up some issues ive had with this season well and hopefully they have learnt.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Cracking post, eagy.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

Can't help but agree. From the owners perspective however it may have cost a lot of money that they/we cannot afford.
HavantO
Fresh Alias

Post by HavantO »

Money they’d almost be certain to recover and then some win the sales of Bonne, Koroma and ekpiteta if we don’t go up. The lack of signings in central midfield has been the most frustrating thing. Been clear pretty much all season how short we are there and not a lot has been done to address it as far as I can see.