Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Top of the JES »

Putting aside all the hyperbole,

There are now 769 Covid related patients in hospital and 68 people on ventilators. Infections per 100,000 tests continue to fall. Localised clusters and spikes need to be dealt with but there is no sign of an increase in calls on the 111 NHS telephone number which is a first sign of spread.

Government, PHE and media are causing panic by not reporting real time numbers, the over 50s isolation thing is a nonsense at the moment, we should be closing bars and eateries if there is a real problem, If all the areas where spikes and clusters are being seen were placed on lockdown for two weeks and it was properly enforced and we screened people arriving in this country we're in place we could all but eradicate this virus.

UK COVID-19
@UKCovid19Stats
·
3h
Last week 27,087 NHS 111 online, 111 & 999 COVID-19 triages/journeys were completed, that's a 5% decrease over the previous week where 28,511 were completed.

130,875 were completed in July, that's a 34% decrease over June where 197,533 were completed.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:37 am Seems to be a young vs old divide emerging. The olds very bitter at the prospect of an over 50s lockdown, which I understand. But if you were old, wouldnt you want to save yourself?
save ourselves from selfish youngsters, who are constantly breaking all the rules, particularly of social distancing.
Its not older people who are congregating in pubs, and on beaches,etc, its selfish younger people.
If younger people were kept indoors away from the rest of us, the virus would be gone in a month
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:58 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:37 am Seems to be a young vs old divide emerging. The olds very bitter at the prospect of an over 50s lockdown, which I understand. But if you were old, wouldnt you want to save yourself?
save ourselves from selfish youngsters, who are constantly breaking all the rules, particularly of social distancing.
Its not older people who are congregating in pubs, and on beaches,etc, its selfish younger people.
If younger people were kept indoors away from the rest of us, the virus would be gone in a month
I agree, it not the over 50s causing the issues, locking them down is a complete cop out. It's like dealing with problem backwards.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Depends on the age groups that you define as 'youngsters'.

Real youngsters are too young to be in pubs alone and rely on their parents to take them everywhere.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Younger people = consumers. Irresponsible and reckless they may be, but they spend the pennies and borrow money which is what keeps the economy's wheels spinning (sort of).
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

The young arent the ones who are going to die from the virus, so are you surprised they dont follow the rules?

The old are perfectly capable of being selfish and stupid too, many have spent their whole lives being so.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

You've been trying to fire the 'young v old' trope since just about lockdown began. any reason?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm The young arent the ones who are going to die from the virus
Really?

Is that a fact?

You really are talking out of your anal orifice.......yet again.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Why do some people get all ageist in a tragedy?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
You've been trying to fire the 'young v old' trope since just about lockdown began. any reason?
What's a trope?

I think that as usual the young have had to carry more than their share of the burden during this crisis.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:24 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
What's a trope?

I think that as usual the young have had to carry more than their share of the burden during this crisis.
Google it.

Depends how you define burden, I guess. Burden of dying and anxiety associated with being the most at risk. Or burden of not being able to go down the pub and a KFC on a Friday night.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

NuneatonO's wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 pm The young arent the ones who are going to die from the virus
Really?

Is that a fact?

2 percent of deaths are people under 50
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm
Really?

Is that a fact?

What percent are spreading it?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm
Really?

Is that a fact?

Proving that my last sentence is correct then.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

It's a f*cking stupid argument anyway. Regardless of stats or burdens. What happened to 'all in this together'. I know the politicians say that because it sounds good, but they dont give a sh*t. But why is every person desperate to blame someone else? If everyone in society had respect for each other and was considerate and understanding then there wouldn't be any imagined battles. Slightly depressing how something like this has now managed to bring the worst out of a lot of people.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 pm It's a f*cking stupid argument anyway. Regardless of stats or burdens. What happened to 'all in this together'. I know the politicians say that because it sounds good, but they dont give a sh*t. But why is every person desperate to blame someone else? If everyone in society had respect for each other and was considerate and understanding then there wouldn't be any imagined battles. Slightly depressing how something like this has now managed to bring the worst out of a lot of people.
You think young people should suffer just because the old have to? For me it's about science, not blame. People were quick to blame those at the beach or at a protest but there's been no significant spike in cases from either of those events. Viruses aren't going to be 'fair', so no reason why our response should be either.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:48 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 pm It's a f*cking stupid argument anyway. Regardless of stats or burdens. What happened to 'all in this together'. I know the politicians say that because it sounds good, but they dont give a sh*t. But why is every person desperate to blame someone else? If everyone in society had respect for each other and was considerate and understanding then there wouldn't be any imagined battles. Slightly depressing how something like this has now managed to bring the worst out of a lot of people.
You think young people should suffer just because the old have to? For me it's about science, not blame. People were quick to blame those at the beach or at a protest but there's been no significant spike in cases from either of those events. Viruses aren't going to be 'fair', so no reason why our response should be either.
In a fair and just society there's no such thing as 'the young shouldn't have to suffer because of the old'. Just reading that back, doesn't it depress you that you seem to see it as a type of war and that people over 70 are stopping you doing whatever you want to do?

I'm realistic. People are selfish and ignorant and virus' aren't fair (not sure what that means btw). But i'm just musing that it would be well nice like, if people weren't all 'us and them' about literally everything and acted 'civilised' whatever the case.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Some good points.

Sadly "all in this together" went out of the window on June 23rd 2016. People are either on one side or the other - the "politics of division", and "old vs young" is just another extension of it. There was an interesting discussion on this very subject on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 programme today, around 12.15pm.

It's also fuelled by a hostile media who have sought to sow fear, with the result that there is a lot of misunderstanding about many aspects of covid-19.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its not a war, its just a fact that the virus kills the old and frail and not the young. Because of this I would support a lockdown of the over 50s for their own safety.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Thor wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:51 pm What about people who have breathing issues? Maybe they are severe asmatics? Suffer from copd? Or take myself and yes I’m wearing a mask where appropriate, but I had a an operation on my nose last Monday, I can’t breathe through it as it has packing inserted, yet I wore a mask and it was horrendous experience. I was struggling for breath. Maybe some are being idiots and maybe some have genuine reasons. Also kids under 11 I beleive are exempted as well.
If you have breathing problems that are so bad you can’t wear a mask whilst you’re in a shop or on public transport you should be at home shielding and not going out at all.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:02 pm Its not a war, its just a fact that the virus kills the old and frail and not the young. Because of this I would support a lockdown of the over 50s for their own safety.
Local man to me who was 43 with no underlying health conditions might disagree with that statement if he could, but can’t, because he’s dead.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Was he obese?
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm Was he obese?
Were all of the 2% of the under-50's who've died?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:48 pm
In a fair and just society there's no such thing as 'the young shouldn't have to suffer because of the old'. Just reading that back, doesn't it depress you that you seem to see it as a type of war and that people over 70 are stopping you doing whatever you want to do?

I'm realistic. People are selfish and ignorant and virus' aren't fair (not sure what that means btw). But i'm just musing that it would be well nice like, if people weren't all 'us and them' about literally everything and acted 'civilised' whatever the case.
It's not done to punish them, it's done to protect them.

I don't see why people are getting so touchy about this.