Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Second wave en route
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Second wave en route
It's not a second wave (although, that wont stop the media to referring to it as such). It's still the first wave, just rebounding as we lift restrictions. The second wave is what happens only after the first wave has complete gone.

We never eliminated Covid, we just flattened the curve. We're going to have this for a year or two yet I'm afraid.
Confucius
Fresh Alias

Post by Confucius »

Dunners wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:42 pm
Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Second wave en route
It's not a second wave (although, that wont stop the media to referring to it as such). It's still the first wave, just rebounding as we lift restrictions. The second wave is what happens only after the first wave has complete gone.

We never eliminated Covid, we just flattened the curve. We're going to have this for a year or two yet I'm afraid.
C2ECEFA4-3A56-4016-83A0-340DCB4D3D02.png
C2ECEFA4-3A56-4016-83A0-340DCB4D3D02.png (201.78 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Historically Pandemics last anywhere between 2 and 6 years, The best hope we have of reducing the life span of this virus is still finding a vaccine(s) that work and mass inocculation. If things go to plan the Oxford Vaccine could be available in November.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/histor ... deadliest/
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 am Historically Pandemics last anywhere between 2 and 6 years, The best hope we have of reducing the life span of this virus is still finding a vaccine(s) that work and mass inocculation. If things go to plan the Oxford Vaccine could be available in November.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/histor ... deadliest/
For who though?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Easing of planned lockdown restrictions this weekend are shelved and fans no longer permitted to attend pilots of sporting events due to rising rate of infection.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Hands, space, test and pray, test and pray.
Hands, space test and pray, test and pray.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It makes sense if the main priority is to get kids back into School in September. However, I still think they're being hopelessly optimistic about everyone returning to normal by November.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm It makes sense if the main priority is to get kids back into School in September. However, I still think they're being hopelessly optimistic about everyone returning to normal by November.
Agree. Don't think we will get a second wave. It does seem more likely that the tail of this virus will be longer and bumpier than we would like.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm It makes sense if the main priority is to get kids back into School in September. However, I still think they're being hopelessly optimistic about everyone returning to normal by November.
Normal won’t return for some time. In it for the long haul.

Can’t be bothered about what constitutes a second wave. But there will be endless spikes. Just a question of how many, where and how big. That is the new normal.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Agree. I think it makes sense to plan for this to be around for at least another year. I was even thinking about getting an office built at the back of the garden. Has anyone done that and have any suggestions?

I came across this, which looks reasonable: www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cab ... den-office

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:54 pm Agree. I think it makes sense to plan for this to be around for at least another year. I was even thinking about getting an office built at the back of the garden. Has anyone done that and have any suggestions?

I came across this, which looks reasonable: www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cab ... den-office

Ive got something very similar (was there when we bought it) which i use for music but am considering converting into an office. The problem is that it's f*cking roasting in any sort of heat and pretty cold in the winter.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:54 pm Agree. I think it makes sense to plan for this to be around for at least another year. I was even thinking about getting an office built at the back of the garden. Has anyone done that and have any suggestions?

Rent a nice house in the Caribbean and work from here if you can
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Rent a nice house in the Caribbean and work from here if you can
Would have thought it's too hot to drink tea over there?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Ive got something very similar (was there when we bought it) which i use for music but am considering converting into an office. The problem is that it's f*cking roasting in any sort of heat and pretty cold in the winter.
:lol:

I also 'work' from a home office and that's pretty much my life too. Days like today and it's pants only, and even that's a push, but come November and it'll be thermal layers. :cry:
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

RedO wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:31 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

:lol:

I also 'work' from a home office and that's pretty much my life too. Days like today and it's pants only, and even that's a push, but come November and it'll be thermal layers. :cry:
Pics or didnt happen?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

So is it just the weather/temperature that is likley to be an issue (not implying that it's no big deal)?

At the moment I'm having to kick one of the kids out of their room on rotation, as that's the only place where there's a decent desk and chair so my back doesn't get too f*cked. The conservatory isn't comfortable (especially whenever the sun hits the glazing) and there's nowhere else inside the house where an office space would fit without losing something - which we don't want to do.

I'm thinking that, when I get the insurance money back for the holiday, it should cover something like this. The garden is bloody long, so we wont miss losing a few meters.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

That's bigger than my entire flat.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I'm really f*cking angry. Infections are going up day by day, and the reason why is.... The population are not keeping to the rules.
I had to go to two shops before,. Wilkinson & Iceland. (They are next to each other).
Although most people were wearing masks, around 25% weren't. I asked the young lady on the door why they allow people inside, if they're not wearing masks.
She shrugged her shoulders and looked lost.
I shall see people on TV, not practising social distancing all the time, and nothing is done.
The police need to pick a smallish area, and swarm all over that area, nicking people who flout the rules because they think they won't be caught and nothing will happen.
The next day they do the same with another smallish area, etc etc.
The British people seem to not want to do what they have been told, and this seems to have got worse in the last few months.
If we want to beat this deadly virus them we have to keep away from each other.
Pubs should never have reopened, and that applies to other things too.
What's happened to this country? It's changed so much..... And for the worst.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:30 pm So is it just the weather/temperature that is likley to be an issue (not implying that it's no big deal)?

At the moment I'm having to kick one of the kids out of their room on rotation, as that's the only place where there's a decent desk and chair so my back doesn't get too f*cked. The conservatory isn't comfortable (especially whenever the sun hits the glazing) and there's nowhere else inside the house where an office space would fit without losing something - which we don't want to do.

I'm thinking that, when I get the insurance money back for the holiday, it should cover something like this. The garden is bloody long, so we wont miss losing a few meters.
As long as you've got electric fed through to it (with internet) then yeah, I can't see there being any other issues.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 pm I'm really f*cking angry. Infections are going up day by day, and the reason why is.... The population are not keeping to the rules.
I had to go to two shops before,. Wilkinson & Iceland. (They are next to each other).
Although most people were wearing masks, around 25% weren't. I asked the young lady on the door why they allow people inside, if they're not wearing masks.
I shall see people on TV, not practising social distancing all the time, and nothing is done.
The police need to pick a smallish area, and swarm all over that area, nicking people who flout the rules because they think they won't be caught and nothing will happen.
The British people seem to not want to do what they have been told, and this seems to have got worse in the last few months.
Infections are going up for two reasons, more testing and targeted testing in areas where there are spikes. There is no evidence of a second wave. The spikes are all in areas of dense population mainly in the north of England. Today's 880 positive cases were from over 206,000 tests it equates to 0.00427% of people tested. Look at the Graphs from the weekly Covid reports as of today 847 people in hospital and 87 on ventilators that figure is not likely to be reported till next week due to the useless reporting protocols being used.

I agree about face masks but there will be some who can't use them for health reasons I have asthma hate using them but I will comply because I can but tbf I went to the supermarket this week and everyone wore one.

Same interesting stats here COYOS read them with an open mind and hopefully they will re assure you, The media and poor handling by the government are whipping up a lot of paranoia.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _FINAL.pdf
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

and here is a doctor on the front line telling the TRUTH. This is the most deleted video out there right now. Watch it before the NWO have it removed.

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 pm I'm really f*cking angry. Infections are going up day by day, and the reason why is.... The population are not keeping to the rules.
Infections are going up for two reasons, more testing and targeted testing in areas where there are spikes. There is no evidence of a second wave. The spikes are all in areas of dense population mainly in the north of England. Today's 880 positive cases were from over 206,000 tests it equates to 0.00427% of people tested. Look at the Graphs from the weekly Covid reports as of today 847 people in hospital and 87 on ventilators that figure is not likely to be reported till next week due to the useless reporting protocols being used.

I agree about face masks but there will be some who can't use them for health reasons I have asthma hate using them but I will comply because I can but tbf I went to the supermarket this week and everyone wore one.

Same interesting stats here COYOS read them with an open mind and hopefully they will re assure you, The media and poor handling by the government are whipping up a lot of paranoia.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _FINAL.pdf
@Top of the JES
Try buying a visor and wearing that instead of a mask, I got a really good one in march om eBay e.g ''Clear Safety Grinding Face Shield Screen Mask Visor For Eye Face Protection UK, Add note- Clear Safety Grinding Face Shield Screen Mask Visor For Eye Face Protection UK, ITEM PRICE: £9.49 including post and packing.''
This Visor is heavy duty, like a builder, tree fellers etc would use, not a skimpy one like the many used in hospitals.

I went into my local Tesco superstore on Monday just gone, two guys who work for Tesco, both in their mid to late 50s ( I guess ? ) were standing by the in and out entrances. One was wearing a full face visor, he said he was wearing due to the fact he had breathing problems.
Anyway, went into the store and amazed that there was 100% compliance of the new face mask advisory, both the staff and customers.....well there was until I got to the self service checkout, I was surprised that there was a young tesco female employee going in and out larking around us,,without a mask. I spoke to a lady I Know who works there and asked her why just this one person not masked up, had she a breathing problem ? She said no, she just refuses to wear a mask and the manager cannot enforce the new guidelines, be it with staff or customers. So there you have it, all the talk from Boris about a possible £100 fine, but the shops and stores will not enforce it and the police ( what there is of them ) do not want to know. I think the government has been so weak to take a firm hand in this health crisis. What a difference compared to people I know who live in other countries far away from UK and Europe. They just cannot believe it when I send them news pictures of what is happening in some places in the UK, the public's blatant disregard of social distancing and wearing masks, beaches, raves, street parties etc.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

All the talk from Boris about a possible £100 fine, but the shops and stores will not enforce it and the police ( what there is of them ) do not want to know. I think the government has been so weak to take a firm hand in this health crisis. What a difference compared to people I know who live in other countries far away from UK and Europe. They just cannot believe it when I send them news pictures of what is happening in some places in the UK, the public's blatant disregard of social distancing and wearing masks, beaches, raves, street parties etc.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Numbers of infections in the community are on the rise according to the latest ONS study (https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 31july2020) but you'd still have to be pretty unlucky to catch it just going to the shops so long as you are careful what you touch and where you put your hands, and wash your hands with gel when you can.

The current estimate is 1 in 1500 in the community. That's 15 Tescos with 100 people and you'd have to be unlucky enough to pick the one with the infected person. Then there'd need to be some interaction that caused you to catch it (they cough or sneeze near you or you touch something they've coughed or sneezed on) - most of the time you'd just walk past them.

It's irritating to see people not complying (except those who have a genuine reason) but I can't get worked up about it any more. People know it's not enforced or enforceable in any practical way and use that as an excuse not to comply, rather than see the bigger picture.

I agree with the points above about the cultural differences - there's not so much of a "common good" spirit here among some people as there is in places like the Far East. I spoke to someone in the US who said the same.