Cyclists again

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Cyclists again

Post by Long slender neck »

Can anybody make sense of this new junction in Manchester? :shock:

Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Re: Cyclists again

Post by Cheshunto »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 am Can anybody make sense of this new junction in Manchester? :shock:

No, but Thank God I don’t live in Manchester and have to use it :D
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Do the colours represent a scoring system?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Looks like cyclists have right of way at all junctions. Good luck with that happening in reality. Cars will be knocking them over.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:29 am Do the colours represent a scoring system?
:lol:

Excellent layout, giving cyclists priority over vehicles.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Many of these in Holland and they complain about then as well.

Mikero
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Presumably that's all traffic light controlled? With separate phases for the cyclists?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 am Can anybody make sense of this new junction in Manchester? :shock:

Something similar to this is being proposed for the Brook House roundabout at the top of leaBridge Road in Clapton
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Looks like a g shock watch
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Luckily as stillspike says it's not designed to be hovered over, at ground level you just follow the lights.

Popular all over Holland and a rare example of taking a tried and tested idea that works perfectly well rather than going for a World beating British design.

Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Mick McQuaid wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 am Luckily as stillspike says it's not designed to be hovered over, at ground level you just follow the lights.

Popular all over Holland and a rare example of taking a tried and tested idea that works perfectly well rather than going for a World beating British design.

But everyone knows that cyclists don't stop at lights :lol:
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Indeed, and I got an earful from a motorcyclist yesterday for (quite safely, and in full knowledge of traffic flows) going through a red yesterday. The motorcyclist promptly triggered a warning sign for speeding, which rather undermined his sense of rectitude.

Anyway, there's plenty of evidence for many cyclists intuit - that it is actually safer for them to make their own decisions about when to cross, rather than to rely on the same traffic signals that apply to motor traffic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop. After all, if they get it wrong, it's them that pays the price, not drivers.

And it doesn't seem unfair to me to apply a different standard to a vehicle that is only a fraction as heavy, and rather slower than a motor vehicle. Cars, vans, lorries, and motorbikes can strike with lethal force (and that's before we even get into the pollution question) and should absolutely be more tightly managed than cyclists.

I speak as a pedestrian, a cyclist, and a driver. I want this city to be more liveable for my children as they grow up, and if that means more cycling and less driving - good.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I've cycled in Holland and I can tell you its absolutely wonderful. Never worrying about some lunatic taking you out and everyone happy relaxed and smiling its unreal. If you've a certain coloured number plate you can go in the cycle lanes on a scooter (restricted to approx 30mph).
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

OyinbO wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 am Indeed, and I got an earful from a motorcyclist yesterday for (quite safely, and in full knowledge of traffic flows) going through a red yesterday. The motorcyclist promptly triggered a warning sign for speeding, which rather undermined his sense of rectitude.

Anyway, there's plenty of evidence for many cyclists intuit - that it is actually safer for them to make their own decisions about when to cross, rather than to rely on the same traffic signals that apply to motor traffic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop. After all, if they get it wrong, it's them that pays the price, not drivers.

And it doesn't seem unfair to me to apply a different standard to a vehicle that is only a fraction as heavy, and rather slower than a motor vehicle. Cars, vans, lorries, and motorbikes can strike with lethal force (and that's before we even get into the pollution question) and should absolutely be more tightly managed than cyclists.

I speak as a pedestrian, a cyclist, and a driver. I want this city to be more liveable for my children as they grow up, and if that means more cycling and less driving - good.
I think most of us want safer more liveable cities for all of us. But is ignoring a red light now permitted for cyclists according to the Highway Code?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

OyinbO wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 am Indeed, and I got an earful from a motorcyclist yesterday for (quite safely, and in full knowledge of traffic flows) going through a red yesterday. The motorcyclist promptly triggered a warning sign for speeding, which rather undermined his sense of rectitude.

The Idaho stop would work in America because stop signs for motorists (including three or four way stops at junctions) are a lot more common there, so people are used to them and actually treat them as stop signs because police enforce them. If the Idaho stop rule was in place over here, in reality how many cyclists would bring their cycle fully to a halt at a red light before then starting to cycle again?
RealLoughtonO
Fresh Alias

Post by RealLoughtonO »

Cycling in France is another world, the attitude of most drivers in the UK toward cyclists is poor, on a London to Paris once we arrived off the ferry even riding through a busy Calais, it was a world apart from the UK, at the end of the ride we did 3 laps of le arc de triomphe and around 15mls in Paris seeing the sights with vehicles giving way without a problem at all.

Try something similar in central London without getting maimed, there's no way on God's earth I'd ride a bike in London.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

The problem is that cyclists ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings and try a weave through the people on them, who have to jump out of the way when they have every right to be there. The only way is to impound cycles as they do with vehicles with no tax.

Mikero
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:56 pm I've cycled in Holland and I can tell you its absolutely wonderful. Never worrying about some lunatic taking you out and everyone happy relaxed and smiling its unreal.
Yeah, those drugs work a treat, don’t they.
Horient
Fresh Alias

Post by Horient »

Bloodbath.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Mikero wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:05 pm The problem is that a handful of idiot cyclists ignore red lights at pedestrian crossings and try a weave through the people on them, who have to jump out of the way when they have every right to be there. The only way is to impound cycles as they do with vehicles with no tax.

Mikero
Corrected
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

Make helmets compulsory.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

HeyO wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am Make helmets compulsory.
Totally agree.
TheTyrant
Fresh Alias

Post by TheTyrant »

This is a very bad idea. Would be a good idea to do some research on a subject before you air stupid opinions.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

most cyclists are complete and utter helmets!!
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Er, why?