Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Coronavirus

Post by faldO »

RedO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 am
Getting back reception and year 1 (and the early years pre schoolers) because these are 'key transition years' simply isn't true. I'd wish they were honest about it and said it's to help working parents out.
If you look at an article like this one: https://app.croneri.co.uk/feature-artic ... provisions

The move from Reception to Year 1 is a key transition in a child’s education, as it is when they move from the EYFS to Key Stage 1 and the start of more formal schooling. This also needs careful planning and preparation, and Reception and Year 1 staff should work together to ensure a smooth transition and continuity.

(Caveat - I have not looked in depth at that website so can't vouch for what it says or who it represents)

"Transition" can also mean in terms of a child's development, eg cognitive, speech, social, emotional, etc, which are obviously quite critical in younger children.

If you want to push the idea that for reception/year1 this is only about getting children back into school to help out parents and that there's no other valid reasons that's an opinion, personally I don't think it's the main reason.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I'd agree with that Faldo, the step up from R to Y1 is a big change, so yes maybe there is an argument to be had around that.

I still think the child care angle is the biggest reason for this age group, though. That's totally understandable. But just be honest about it.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Very early years have much to do with the physical and mental well being of the young children. It’s about learning social skills, mixing with others, making new friends and general development. Having fun.

Of course they do their ABC and play games that have benefit for their numeracy and literacy but it’s about social engagement. Personal development. Critical for young lives.

Child care is a benefit but not a reason. Children’s development is the reason.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

RedO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am It isn't true because you said so RedO? Evidence please.
:lol:

I've been asking for evidence for some time, in case you haven't noticed.
I provided what I had, twice, but it wasn’t good enough for you, fine, no issue. But I responded when asked. I have no doubt you will do the same when asked. And I have little doubt you will be.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

36 at-risk areas "days away from local lockdown"

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... s-12018594
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Just to think, that according to Johnson the :clown on the 20th May, he promised the UK would have a"world beating" app, released within days.

UK's response to coronavirus crisis ranked second worst among world's richest countries

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-c ... 71711.html

Numbers may have reduced BUT there are still hundreds of new cases of infections daily; coupled with hundreds more needless deaths. It is an utter DISGRACE. :evil:

It is truly incredible that anyone is still brainwashed into supporting this incompetent, lying Tory bunch of utter charlatans.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm
Numbers may have reduced BUT there are still hundreds of new cases of infections daily; coupled with hundreds more needless deaths. It is an utter DISGRACE. :evil:

It is truly incredible that anyone is still brainwashed into supporting this incompetent, lying Tory bunch of utter charlatans.
The way that the government originally handled the pandemic will be subject to discussion for years to come but IMO the second wave, recent spikes or however you wish to refer to the recent cases, are more to do with people's stupidity and selfishness and ignoring of any advice and guidelines rather than the inability of the government and would have happened whoever was in charge.

I have been waiting for the rise since the BLM demonstrations started along with the beach visits, raves, street parties and title celebrations.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 pm

The way that the government originally handled the pandemic will be subject to discussion for years to come but IMO the second wave, recent spikes or however you wish to refer to the recent cases, are more to do with people's stupidity and selfishness and ignoring of any advice and guidelines rather than the inability of the government and would have happened whoever was in charge.

I have been waiting for the rise since the BLM demonstrations started along with the beach visits, raves, street parties and title celebrations.
But for some it will always be those in power's fault.

Now whatever happens the government have made mistakes as have most.

But Their's a significant % of the population abdicate responsibility and are all to quick to blame it on the leaders rather than take it upon themselves to act for the common good.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

So did Dominic Cummings act for the common good then?

Was Johnson's gutless inability to sack him, an act for the common good as well?

In my honest opinion, the Cummings debacle was undoubtedly the spark that stated the fire. It sent out the most powerfully WRONG message to the people of the UK; more than any other during this Pandemic.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm So did Dominic Cummings act for the common good then?

Was Johnson's gutless inability to sack him, an act for the common good as well?

In my honest opinion, the Cummings debacle was undoubtedly the spark that stated the fire. It sent out the most powerfully WRONG message to the people of the UK; more than any other during this Pandemic.
So if Cummings hadn't gone to Durham we wouldn't have seen the BLM protests, packed beaches and parks, raves and street parties?

I disagree.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dohnut wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:33 pm
RedO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am It isn't true because you said so RedO? Evidence please.
:lol:

I've been asking for evidence for some time, in case you haven't noticed.
I provided what I had, twice, but it wasn’t good enough for you, fine, no issue. But I responded when asked. I have no doubt you will do the same when asked. And I have little doubt you will be.
You didn’t have any evidence FFS. Just some unnamed tv show you claim to have seen. :lol:

You also said you were done with this thread yet here you still are....
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 pm
NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm So did Dominic Cummings act for the common good then?

So if Cummings hadn't gone to Durham we wouldn't have seen the BLM protests, packed beaches and parks, raves and street parties?

I disagree.
The Cummings debacle absolutely had an impact on people’s adherence to the guidance, without a question.

To such an extent, some even claimed/believed it may have been deliberate, so as to push people back out into circulation...
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The way that the government originally handled the pandemic will be subject to discussion for years to come
No discussion to be had, their mishandling cost tens of thousands of lives. Johnson and Cummings have blood on their hands.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

RedO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 pm

I disagree.
The Cummings debacle absolutely had an impact on people’s adherence to the guidance, without a question.

To such an extent, some even claimed/believed it may have been deliberate, so as to push people back out into circulation...
😂
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

JimbO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:36 pm

But for some it will always be those in power's fault.

Now whatever happens the government have made mistakes as have most.

But Their's a significant % of the population abdicate responsibility and are all to quick to blame it on the leaders rather than take it upon themselves to act for the common good.
Doubtless there is a significant percentage of the public who have been flaunting the lockdown rules from the get-go. The BLM marches and the beach visits etc, etc are the the attention grabbing headliners but I'd not be surprised if all the many, smaller and unnoticed breaches of the rules by quite a large number of idiots has had an even bigger impact. With regard to your point about "blaming it on the leaders" I think that's appropriate as at no time have they really laid down the law and empowered the Police or Armed Forces to enforce Lockdown. In the weak and extremely vague way the government is renowned for they left the door open for people to abuse the lockdown rules. I can testify that it didn't have to be that way. I'm in France and the lockdown was clearly explained as were the penalties for breaking the rules. It was then enforced, properly. The UK government was clearly incapable of doing the same.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

If this country had "really laid down the law and empowered the Police or Armed Forces to enforce Lockdown." the Human Rights brigade would have been all over it.

This country needs strong leadership but have hamstrung ourselves over the last 30 years or so.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 pm If this country had "really laid down the law and empowered the Police or Armed Forces to enforce Lockdown." the Human Rights brigade would have been all over it.

This country needs strong leadership but have hamstrung ourselves over the last 30 years or so.
I wouldn't disagree with that but it's all about the "selling" of the concept of lockdown, of the benefits and absolute need to comply, and then enforcing it for all our benefit. The government had to be prepared to make themselves unpopular in order to do the right thing. This government is too weak to do that. It's like expecting a soft furry kitten to behave like a lion (but not a kitten that's nice, it's the sort who scratches,bites and craps all over the place).
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

They didn’t want to lockdown ffs.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

The Cummings saga was undoubtedly damaging to the Government in terms of standing (lead over Labour and PM popularity), but the effect on people sticking to the lockdown was pretty minimal, with only around 7% of people saying they were following the lockdown less strictly because of Cummings, according to one YouGov poll.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/arti ... rules-more

Simple passage of time and a feeling that things were getting "better" was more of a factor, especially among the young.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Assuming that’s all accurate - it does seem reasonable - then that 7% is still significant. That’s 1 in every 3 of those people on the beach, or out protesting at the start of June, or having street parties etc.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

RedO wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 pm Assuming that’s all accurate - it does seem reasonable - then that 7% is still significant. That’s 1 in every 3 of those people on the beach, or out protesting at the start of June, or having street parties etc.
Absolutely f*cking relentless 🙇‍♂️
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Why hide the Covid Infection Data from Local Authorities?

The Etonian Spaffer :clown caught lying again.
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

NuneatonO's wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am Why hide the Covid Infection Data from Local Authorities?

He is relentless.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So are the lefties on here
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

NuneatonO's wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am Why hide the Covid Infection Data from Local Authorities?

The Rabid Right will just say the left is obsessed as usual ,
While burying there heads in the sand once more.