Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Mikero
Fresh Alias

Re: Tory Watch

Post by Mikero »

"The Labour Party is currently not a good role model for people coming together and working together."

No political party can be a model for this as they are so factionalised. Anyone joining a party with a sense of hope very soon finds that their vision has to be squeezed into ever narrower spaces within the party. Being a 'Broad-Church' means there is a long way between the left and the right, but it is almost impossible to hold a broad view.

Mikero
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Dohnut wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:37 pm
Admin wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:17 pm Ok. So you agree that the Tories basically dealt with disunity by removing anyone with any sense of independent thought. Does that represent leadership for you?

Given the Tories handling of Covid 19 are you still content that Boris was the best of a bad bunch?

Oh and by the way, I’m no slavering Corbynite. I’m a left winger for sure but can quite easily recognise the sainted JC’s failings.
Political parties remove people, businesses remove people. Even football teams move people on who just don’t fit (Fletcher). It happens, to be replaced by young men who have changed direction to fit the new role (Ross).

Personally I don’t believe Corbyn/Abbott etc would have handled the Pandemic any better. A YouGov poll, for what it’s worth, from fading memory suggest 57% thought he would handle it worse. But that is not proof, just perception and could be wrong. Don’t know and don’t care tbh. Nor do I believe our preparedness would have been better.

Though I can say with all honesty I would have cut Corbyn the same slack (any PM) as I afford Johnson solely on the basis of the size and complexity of the issue. Especially as I look around the world at others. A shitefest. There will be time for a reckoning and a chance for Starmer to show his worth. Now that I will find very interesting.
I think (one of) the points you've missed here though Dohnut is that does good leadership not need the confidence to have those that disagree with you around you? Corbyn at least did that in his shadow cabinets. The Tories have been culling those that think for themselves for a long time.

Is that leadership? Should groupthink really be a preferred way forward? (Another issue with people being desperate for centrism).
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

PoliticOs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:45 pm
Admin wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:17 pm Ok. So you agree that the Tories basically dealt with disunity by removing anyone with any sense of independent thought. Does that represent leadership for you?

Given the Tories handling of Covid 19 are you still content that Boris was the best of a bad bunch?

Oh and by the way, I’m no slavering Corbynite. I’m a left winger for sure but can quite easily recognise the sainted JC’s failings.
Political parties remove people, businesses remove people. Even football teams move people on who just don’t fit (Fletcher). It happens, to be replaced by young men who have changed direction to fit the new role (Ross).

Personally I don’t believe Corbyn/Abbott etc would have handled the Pandemic any better. A YouGov poll, for what it’s worth, from fading memory suggest 57% thought he would handle it worse. But that is not proof, just perception and could be wrong. Don’t know and don’t care tbh. Nor do I believe our preparedness would have been better.

Though I can say with all honesty I would have cut Corbyn the same slack (any PM) as I afford Johnson solely on the basis of the size and complexity of the issue. Especially as I look around the world at others. A shitefest. There will be time for a reckoning and a chance for Starmer to show his worth. Now that I will find very interesting.
I think (one of) the points you've missed here though Dohnut is that does good leadership not need the confidence to have those that disagree with you around you? Corbyn at least did that in his shadow cabinets. The Tories have been culling those that think for themselves for a long time.

Is that leadership? Should groupthink really be a preferred way forward? (Another issue with people being desperate for centrism).
Do believe you've just described Cabinet Collective Responsibility there old boy

Part of the reason JC had people that disagreed with him in his shadow cabinet was, even after he's promoted all his mates (which led to people like Burgon getting jobs beyond their abilities) there still would have been unfilled positions due to his unpopularity with the PLP
Last edited by Currywurst and Chips on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Good leadership is definitely being prepared to accept differing views, quite healthy in fact. For me there is one major issue having been on a Board for 20 years. Our meetings were very, let’s say energetic at times. Views differed significantly and people not shy at voicing there opinions, forcibly. All done in the spirit of finding the best solutions so no animosity. Healthy.

However decisions needed to be taken and were. The collective majority.

It was vital thereafter that the Board supported the collective decision, even though it may not reflect a personal choice. If anybody felt support was absolutely impossible then resignation is the honourable approach, or at least no opposition.

What was not accepted and not tolerated were post agreement dissent comments by senior people that undermined the collective decision. That is destructive. People who do that need to be removed.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Do believe you've just described Cabinet Collective Responsibility there old boy

Part of the reason JC had people that disagreed with him in his shadow cabinet was, even after he's promoted all his mates (which led to people like Burgon getting jobs beyond their abilities) there still would have been unfilled positions due to his unpopularity with the PLP
And how do those cabinet positions come around?

Has he orchestrated a robust and broad culture of wide ranging opinions? Nah. Most don't from both sides, but these lot have been particularly bad at it.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

PoliticOs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:29 pm
Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:23 pm

And how do those cabinet positions come around?

Has he orchestrated a robust and broad culture of wide ranging opinions? Nah. Most don't from both sides, but these lot have been particularly bad at it.
We live under a parliamentary system where the convention is Cabinet Collective Responsibility therefore it makes sense not to bud.

HTH
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

You don't even disagree with me. Stop wasting the internet.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

PoliticOs wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:13 pm You don't even disagree with me. Stop wasting the internet.
So you keep saying

Am enjoying this alias though so will leave it there. Keep up the (generally) good work.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So is PO max?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Thor wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:16 pmSo is PO max?
Him and Conkles haven't been posting much since the alias started 🤷🏻‍♂️
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am
Thor wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:16 pmSo is PO max?
Him and Conkles haven't been posting much since the alias started 🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s Max.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Rees-Mogg loses vote to let MPs debate bullying claims

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-claims

I bet Nanny will have a nightmare tonight getting him bathed and put to bed.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Boris the narcissists’ narcissist flails wildly as PMQs exposes cracks

The PM can dump wives, mistresses, ministers and friends but he just can’t get rid of Keir Starmer!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ses-cracks

Boris Johnson's PMQs is like a Columbo episode and Keir Starmer has just one more question:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... o-22245828

Johnson today was an utter joke; expertly dissected by Starmer QC.

If only there was a freezer in the House of Commons - the Etonian Spaffer would have been hiding inside of it, alongside the fish fingers.

Johnson the :clown was clearly on the ropes, he even pulled a silly face (or two)........so no change there then!
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

The fish fingers? Is that a euphemism for the cabinet?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:43 am The fish fingers? Is that a euphemism for the cabinet?
No. Spitting images called it right, the Cabinet are the vegetables. The Fish fingers are Boris Johnson’s abacus. Trouble is he eats them much too often.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

For a long time now, I feel the best metaphor for this Government, is saying that Year 7 have been put in charge of the school.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm Boris the narcissists’ narcissist flails wildly as PMQs exposes cracks

The PM can dump wives, mistresses, ministers and friends but he just can’t get rid of Keir Starmer!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ses-cracks

Boris Johnson's PMQs is like a Columbo episode and Keir Starmer has just one more question:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... o-22245828

Johnson today was an utter joke; expertly dissected by Starmer QC.

If only there was a freezer in the House of Commons - the Etonian Spaffer would have been hiding inside of it, alongside the fish fingers.

Johnson the :clown was clearly on the ropes, he even pulled a silly face (or two)........so no change there then!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Translates as "What you have to listen to as the British Prime Minister is that the Germans do better when it comes to the #CoronaWarnApp. Sorry, Mr. Johnson."

Mikero
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Fine PR work from Nadim Zahawi this morning on Radio 4. Although I suspect this could well be some more Trumpian style distraction going on "don't look at the dodgy minister there, come and laugh at the imbecile over here"

Either that or he is just thick as mince.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

Admin wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Fine PR work from Nadim Zahawi this morning on Radio 4. Although I suspect this could well be some more Trumpian style distraction going on "don't look at the dodgy minister there, come and laugh at the imbecile over here"

Pork or beef?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Admin wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm Fine PR work from Nadim Zahawi this morning on Radio 4. Although I suspect this could well be some more Trumpian style distraction going on "don't look at the dodgy minister there, come and laugh at the imbecile over here"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ssion=true
There is footage on twitter
Ill have to try & find it
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

HeyO wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Pork or beef?
Turkey.