People Are Quick to Hijack A Protest

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Re: People Are Quick to Hijack A Protest

Post by PoliticOs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:07 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:59 pm

I don't believe that anyone worries about who owns what shops when shopping. I certainly don't. If I need or want something then I buy it regardless of who is selling it to me.

I don't know why he made those comments. It could be for all 3 of those reasons you posted.
What I am saying is that telling people to do something based purely on colour is racist. Simple as that.

Could also be said that I'm wasting my breath as you have no intention on listening to my opinion either.
I'm asking your opinion throughout so it's probably a poor take that I have no intention on listening. I'm giving you the chance to answer. Agreeing and listening are different.

Do you not favour any sort of places to buy if you can? So if you were looking for fruit and veg in Islington you wouldn't go by John Mackie's place because you want to support an ex O?

Why would black people potentially feel like they need to directly support each other financially via preferential shopping do you think?
Depends on how cheap his fruit and veg was compared to other options.

I've got you now though. BAME people support each other based purely on colour = fine. White people support each other based purely on colour = racist.
But they aren't doing that 'purely on colour'. So that point is irrelevant.

Two questions then;

1) Why would 'BAME people' support each other as preference? What is the motivation?
2) Why would white people support each other as preference? What is the motivation?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:10 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 pm

I'm asking your opinion throughout so it's probably a poor take that I have no intention on listening. I'm giving you the chance to answer. Agreeing and listening are different.

Do you not favour any sort of places to buy if you can? So if you were looking for fruit and veg in Islington you wouldn't go by John Mackie's place because you want to support an ex O?

Why would black people potentially feel like they need to directly support each other financially via preferential shopping do you think?

I've got you now though. BAME people support each other based purely on colour = fine. White people support each other based purely on colour = racist.

Two questions then;

1) Why would 'BAME people' support each other as preference? What is the motivation?
2) Why would white people support each other as preference? What is the motivation?
I obviously don't know. Educate me. Answer your own questions.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Two questions then;

Happy to.

1) The premis of 'BAME people' supporting BAME owned business is because in 2020, there are still significantly more challenges for that group around race than there are for 'non BAME people'. Essentially, they need the support. It is more difficult to be successful, using that measurement alone, for a non-white person than it is a white person so it makes sense to elevate those from this community.

2) White people supporting white businesses because they are white would only be a response to the above. Although white people face many similar challenges that halts prosperity, class being one - it isn't because of their race.

If you are working class and want to support working class people, buying from working class businesses is not classist. If you are a woman and know that women progress slower/less than men do in the workplace, supporting women owned businesses is not sexist.

If you are a man (whom collectively do not have prejudice against them due to their sex in the workplace) choosing to support male only businesses IS sexist. Because you already have the power and privilege.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 pm
NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:46 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am Will also confess my ignorance of most statues. Not sure if getting rid of them is the right way to go though. It doesn't seem fair to judge people from the past on today's values.
On that logic, if there was a statue of Hitler in Berlin, should it remain there?

He probably believed that he was doing the right thing at the time.
Well the thing is his views weren't acceptable at any time and he was defeated.
They were accepted, at the time, by most of the German people?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Two questions then;

Happy to.

1) The premis of 'BAME people' supporting BAME owned business is because in 2020, there are still significantly more challenges for that group around race than there are for 'non BAME people'. Essentially, they need the support. It is more difficult to be successful, using that measurement alone, for a non-white person than it is a white person so it makes sense to elevate those from this community.

2) White people supporting white businesses because they are white would only be a response to the above. Although white people face many similar challenges that halts prosperity, class being one - it isn't because of their race.

If you are working class and want to support working class people, buying from working class businesses is not classist. If you are a woman and know that women progress slower/less than men do in the workplace, supporting women owned businesses is not sexist.

If you are a man (whom collectively do not have prejudice against them due to their sex in the workplace) choosing to support male only businesses IS sexist. Because you already have the power and privilege.
So basically I was right. Prejudice in favour of BAME from BAME is acceptable as support of that community whilst white people supporting the white community are racist as they are only doing it because the BAME community are doing it.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Happy to.

So basically I was right. Prejudice in favour of BAME from BAME is acceptable as support of that community whilst white people supporting the white community are racist as they are only doing it because the BAME community are doing it.
You're getting so close! But still, no.

It wouldn't be 'prejudice in favour of BAME', for the reasons I explained.
It would be 'prejudice in favour of white people' for the reasons I explained.

Supporting the BAME community by the BAME community is not prejudice, as it is because of the challenges of their colour, not because of their colour.
White people buying white only would be prejudice, as there is not a specific challenge of that colour so the reason and logic is flawed and different.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

It's okay to be xxxist, so long as you support the underdog?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Given they're the most persecuted people in history I'm going to support business run by Jewish people in future
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm Given they're the most persecuted people in history I'm going to support business run by Jewish people in future
Wheres your proof, or source for that comment please?
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

The Guardian
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:37 pm
Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm Given they're the most persecuted people in history I'm going to support business run by Jewish people in future
A basic grasp of human history
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:55 pm
Not good enough I'm afraid. Basically you can't prove such a statement... No one can
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Not good enough I'm afraid. Basically you can't prove such a statement... No one can
Yeah, to be honest, I doubt anyone is surprised you disagree.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

But they are and always have been a massively persecuted group - so if he wants to specifically support them by that means then fair enough, that's a valid way of showing support.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:15 pm

So you can't prove such a wide ranging statement, as you try to squirm out of it.
You are entitled to support who you like, but don't come on here​ with unprovable statements.
I support the BDS movement, which is also my perogative.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am Will also confess my ignorance of most statues. Not sure if getting rid of them is the right way to go though. It doesn't seem fair to judge people from the past on today's values.
Absolutely.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:28 pm
Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:15 pm

So you can't prove such a wide ranging statement, as you try to squirm out of it.
You are entitled to support who you like, but don't come on here​ with unprovable statements.
I support the BDS movement, which is also my perogative.
I thought BDS was about Israel and their government and not about Jews as a whole

At least ostensibly
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Not even close mate. Check out the slavs. It's where the word slave comes from, as it's estimated that they were enslaved in greater numbers and over more time by African rulers than any other slave trade since. They've also been persecuted by fascist and Soviet imperialists in more recent times.

That's the thing with this game. If you go back far enough everyone's ancestors have been f*cked by someone. It's just divisive. But I guess it's easier for people to make political capital from division than unifying people.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:52 pm
Not even close mate. Check out the slavs. It's where the word slave comes from, as it's estimated that they were enslaved in greater numbers and over more time by African rulers than any other slave trade since. They've also been persecuted by fascist and Soviet imperialists in more recent times.

That's the thing with this game. If you go back far enough everyone's ancestors have been f*cked by someone. It's just divisive. But I guess it's easier for people to make political capital from division than unifying people.
Well that's the point I was trying to make

Maybe it was done in a lackadaisical way but managed to hook the Board's foremost jew baiter so hey ho
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm 2) White people supporting white businesses because they are white would only be a response to the above. Although white people face many similar challenges that halts prosperity, class being one - it isn't because of their race.
Many white people would disagree with you on that one. You’re making the mistake of bunching white people together as if they’re one homogeneous group. There’s massive differences between different subcultures of white people, just like there is between black people, Asians and so on.

No demographic has been shafted more over the past couple of decades than the white working class, but they’re absolutely fair game for progressive types because they’re white, obviously.

Thank you for telling everyone on this board how much power and privilege they have though. I’ll forward your message on to the Deliveroo drivers and Sports Direct employees in Barnsley and Hartlepool who I know, sure they’ll really appreciate your kind words.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Happy to.

So that must mean Brexit is Racist ?
As its British people doing for British people
& nobody else ?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Are you serious?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

More persecuted than Women ?

That is a Statement ,
but in context of your Good use of an
example ill let it slide.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm 2) White people supporting white businesses because they are white would only be a response to the above. Although white people face many similar challenges that halts prosperity, class being one - it isn't because of their race.
Many white people would disagree with you on that one. You’re making the mistake of bunching white people together as if they’re one homogeneous group. There’s massive differences between different subcultures of white people, just like there is between black people, Asians and so on.

No demographic has been shafted more over the past couple of decades than the white working class, but they’re absolutely fair game for progressive types because they’re white, obviously.

Thank you for telling everyone on this board how much power and privilege they have though. I’ll forward your message on to the Deliveroo drivers and Sports Direct employees in Barnsley and Hartlepool who I know, sure they’ll really appreciate your kind words.
Many would disagree with me, I definitely agree with you there.

Well what sort of reason would a white person in the UK to decide to only shop white and not be as a response to the example I gave before OR because of being an outright bigot? Why else would it be?

Not sure your last sentence is particularly rational to what is being said. Why do you include those examples? A white Sports Direct employee in Barnsley will be getting screwed over for many reasons and be at serious disadvantages, but is race one of them?
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

P.S I would say as a 'progressive type', particularly over the past decade, the fight for equality has been much more about poverty than race so again, no sure I agree.