New yacht for liz

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: New yacht for liz

Post by faldO »

Let's not do the country down...

UK’s yacht builders ride growing wave of super-rich customers
https://www.ft.com/content/7b011c7a-98d ... 5cbb98ed36
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

faldO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:18 am Let's not do the country down...

Nice to see you back faldO.

Sorry for taking this off-topic for a moment but is there any chance that you could finally answer my question about what the teaching Unions were doing wrong by trying to protect their members?

Still waiting for an answer from last week.

Many thanks.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

NuneatonO's wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:29 am
faldO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:18 am Let's not do the country down...

Nice to see you back faldO.

Sorry for taking this off-topic for a moment but is there any chance that you could finally answer my question about what the teaching Unions were doing wrong by trying to protect their members?

Still waiting for an answer from last week.

Many thanks.
I'll post a reply shortly in the thread where the posts were originally put.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Dohnut wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:07 pm
Stamford O wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:32 pm 200 million notes can be spent better than a plaything for the rich
The 200 million notes feeds into the system. Wages and tax for the people building it, orders to the suppliers who in term employ people, tax payers. When built, wages for employees and maintenance staff.

So it generates employment and increases tax revenue. May even reduce benefits.

Only a part of that 200 million finds its way to the shareholders of the company, who may well be pension funds for staff.

People get all emotive about the big numbers without a moments thought as to where that money actually gets spent. On ordinary workers.
I would probably be classified as a royalist, but what's the point of a royal yacht these days. 60-70 years ago it was needed because of the dangerous nature of air travel and it was probably easier to tour foreign countries using it. These days I'm more surprised that there's not a royal airplane - but again there's a better use of funds than to keep it parked up at an airport.
LeytonOstone
Fresh Alias

Post by LeytonOstone »

I'm all for building a nice big yacht and giving work to those in need. And instead of then giving it to those who already have more than enough why not just organise a lotto thing every few weeks and let us the great unwashed have a little jolly on it if we get lucky. We're all winners except the Royals (hey, but life's tough).
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm
Stamford O wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:32 pm 200 million notes can be spent better than a plaything for the rich
The 200 million notes feeds into the system. Wages and tax for the people building it, orders to the suppliers who in term employ people, tax payers. When built, wages for employees and maintenance staff.

Only a part of that 200 million finds its way to the shareholders of the company, who may well be pension funds for staff.

People get all emotive about the big numbers without a moments thought as to where that money actually gets spent. On ordinary workers.
I would probably be classified as a royalist, but what's the point of a royal yacht these days. 60-70 years ago it was needed because of the dangerous nature of air travel and it was probably easier to tour foreign countries using it. These days I'm more surprised that there's not a royal airplane - but again there's a better use of funds than to keep it parked up at an airport.
I’m not particularly fussed about the yacht. But it may be a boost to U.K. industry in general and ship building in particular if we can produce a craft of such a standard it advertises our ability as a ship building nation. The yacht would certainly be a high profile advert around the world.

And, like I get slagged off for, the majority of the £200m will find its way into the system in jobs, wages and taxes. One way or another the Government will get half back via taxation.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dohnut wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:12 pm

I’m not particularly fussed about the yacht. But it may be a boost to U.K. industry in general and ship building in particular if we can produce a craft of such a standard it advertises our ability as a ship building nation. The yacht would certainly be a high profile advert around the world.

And, like I get slagged off for, the majority of the £200m will find its way into the system in jobs, wages and taxes. One way or another the Government will get half back via taxation.
Your arguments for the multiplier effect of the "investment" are reasonable - much of the spend will be recouped in taxation as well as increased economic activity as those workers spend their wages on goods and services and the purveyors of those goods and services spend in the economy in their turn - and so on.

So why not do that spending on an even bigger scale - but instead of a trinket for a wealthy family - spend it on much needed infrastructure projects, renewable energy plant (already done in shipyards around these parts)- electrification of railways - eco vehicles - nationwide broadband provision - etc etc ? Doesn't that sound like a better idea?

Obviously, this should be done by the state or a state-controlled company - we don't want any of the cash to find its way to a tax haven - or China, do we?
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Yes to all of that.

I really hope that there can be a revival of manufacturing in this country after the virus situation is over and we can significantly reduce reliance on China and reduce Chinese ownership, especially if there is going to be an enforced change to some industries like hospitality, travel, etc. It would be an ideal opportunity not only to retrain people but to show young people that a career in engineering is something to be valued and proud of.

If you didn't read the link to the FT article about yachts, the main company featured on the south coast Sunseeker is owned by China.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I was in the shipping industry when working. This has been raised so many times within that since Blair scuppered Brittannia. It’ll not happen.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

StillSpike wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Your arguments for the multiplier effect of the "investment" are reasonable - much of the spend will be recouped in taxation as well as increased economic activity as those workers spend their wages on goods and services and the purveyors of those goods and services spend in the economy in their turn - and so on.

So why not do that spending on an even bigger scale - but instead of a trinket for a wealthy family - spend it on much needed infrastructure projects, renewable energy plant (already done in shipyards around these parts)- electrification of railways - eco vehicles - nationwide broadband provision - etc etc ? Doesn't that sound like a better idea?

Obviously, this should be done by the state or a state-controlled company - we don't want any of the cash to find its way to a tax haven - or China, do we?
It’s a principle that I always think could work, not the boat, thought that does have its advantages, but in industry in general. Often the issue is massive borrowing. I have no issue with private enterprise funding schemes, that money too feeds through the system, but I totally agree about tax havens. I have no issue with a degree of nationalisation, sooner that, than our industry being foreign owned, but I’ve long since given up on the idea that Governments can rum businesses better than businessmen.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

The most expensive yacht in the world cost $4.8 billion. A paltry £100m wouldn't even get noticed. Superyachts are vanity projects for bored Russian and Emirati billionaires. F*** me, even the garden bridge would be a better investment
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

RedO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:59 am

Why does anyone bother engaging with this clap trap?
He’s a WUM.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

HeyO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:54 pm
RedO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:59 am

Why does anyone bother engaging with this clap trap?
He’s a WUM.
He understands how the system works.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

faldO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:35 pm Yes to all of that.

I really hope that there can be a revival of manufacturing in this country after the virus situation is over and we can significantly reduce reliance on China and reduce Chinese ownership, especially if there is going to be an enforced change to some industries like hospitality, travel, etc. It would be an ideal opportunity not only to retrain people but to show young people that a career in engineering is something to be valued and proud of.

If you didn't read the link to the FT article about yachts, the main company featured on the south coast Sunseeker is owned by China.
I sincerely hope one good to come out of all this is as you say, but not just manufacturing but our research and development. And our reliance on China.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Real Al wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:29 pm

The most expensive yacht in the world cost $4.8 billion. A paltry £100m wouldn't even get noticed. Superyachts are vanity projects for bored Russian and Emirati billionaires. F*** me, even the garden bridge would be a better investment
You’re probably right about what £200m would buy in the shipbuilding world, never really considered that. More the principle of investing in U.K. industry to show the world what we an do. And of course the much of The money finds it way back into the economy and to the Government coffers anyway. The headline costs of these things can sometimes be misleading.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

LeytonOstone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 pm I'm all for building a nice big yacht and giving work to those in need. And instead of then giving it to those who already have more than enough why not just organise a lotto thing every few weeks and let us the great unwashed have a little jolly on it if we get lucky. We're all winners except the Royals (hey, but life's tough).
Can I baggsy the first trip, always wanted a trip round the isles of widget with a Pimms No1 in my hand.