Minneapolis

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Minneapolis

Post by Admin »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 pm

assume you know the history of that quote?
Assume you only found out today?
It was only used today by the president...dont understand your point?
I think my erstwhile colleague may be referring to the quote being used in 1968 by a Miami Police Chief and was considered to have contributed towards the race riots there in the late 60's.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dohnut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm The police officer needs prosecuting so the evidence can be tested in full. If guilty then a custodial sentence is a given.

Why would police act this way. Maybe it’s because on average 100 officers a year are murdered on the streets of America whilst they are doing their job protecting people. But hey, they are cops so that’s OK then.
Surpassing yourself now Maffy. You really do need a good look at yourself if you're honestly trying to find some form of excuse for this latest incident.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Admin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Assume you only found out today?
I think my erstwhile colleague may be referring to the quote being used in 1968 by a Miami Police Chief and was considered to have contributed towards the race riots there in the late 60's.
yeah, I know. I meant he was insinuating that I might be expected to know every quote that contributed to race riots in the 60s? And that it wasn't an issue because I only found out today the history of said quote.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dohnut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:30 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:27 pm
Dohnut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm The police officer needs prosecuting so the evidence can be tested in full. If guilty then a custodial sentence is a given.

Why would police act this way. Maybe it’s because on average 100 officers a year are murdered on the streets of America whilst they are doing their job protecting people. But hey, they are cops so that’s OK then.
I believe George Floyd's family would angrily dispute that the police were protecting him.
Covered that point Max. Said he should be prosecuted. I’m sure his family would agree.
You haven't really covered the point.. Quel surprise.

My point was actually a wider one.

If the police were serving the public by "protecting" them there wouldn't be an issue with them killing unarmed black men nor indeed arresting black television reporters.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

There's no excuse of course, but could it be that some of the police are just really, really scared all of the time - so everything has to be met with excessive overwhelming force and overreaction?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

No ifs, no buts, this cop has to be charged with murder.

The fact he hasn’t beggars belief.

The aftermath, looting aside, is totally understandable.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

o-no wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 pm There's no excuse of course, but could it be that some of the police are just really, really scared all of the time - so everything has to be met with excessive overwhelming force and overreaction?
If they are so scared that they can no longer "protect and serve" the communities they police they should ask themselves why that is. Maybe they don't see their role as protectors but as enforcers.

Policing can only ever happen with the trust and consent of the community.
Kent
Fresh Alias

Post by Kent »

This is murder and the policeman / policemen should be convicted as such, rather than merely being dismissed from duty. The previous record of the officer (Derek Chauvin) with his knee on the deceased’s neck while he was handcuffed was very poor. (18 prior complaints filed against him with the Minneapolis Police Department's Internal Affairs)

Black people in America are stopped by police officers much more frequently than other racial groups and 1 in 9 black men under age 25 lives under some form of restrained liberty: in prison, in jail, on probation, or on parole. Black men are also 26% more likely than white men to be remanded in custody!

Regarding the protests, setting fire to the police station and looting; certain individuals always will take advantage of a situation to profit - take the drug companies profit rise during COVIC-19 as an example! - yet one has to wonder what tactics would appeal other than to show their pain and horror by extreme measures.

The Donald Trump‘a rhetoric is rather all-too typical. While he describes White supremacists as “good people” and then calls those protesting George Floyd’s death “thugs”.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Hang on a minute, that’s the risks you accept when you take the position as an officer of the law, no law abiding citizen should be subjected to those risks themselves going about their normal daily business. That is the whole point of having a police force surely.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

o-no wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 pm There's no excuse of course, but could it be that some of the police are just really, really scared all of the time - so everything has to be met with excessive overwhelming force and overreaction?
O-no indeed, good name as that just about summed up my thoughts when I read your post.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

kokomO wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Hang on a minute, that’s the risks you accept when you take the position as an officer of the law, no law abiding citizen should be subjected to those risks themselves going about their normal daily business. That is the whole point of having a police force surely.
Absolutely bizarre logic from Dohnut, and not for the first time.

Just trying to find excuses to justify his own terrifyingly out of date and abhorrent views, I suspect.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm
If they are so scared that they can no longer "protect and serve" the communities they police they should ask themselves why that is. Maybe they don't see their role as protectors but as enforcers.

That’s the problem in that country with policing, are they protectors or enforcers. I’ve seen both sides and the side that enforces is not one I’d want to mess with.

I was at Venice beach and was talking to about 5 of them standing on a corner about the area, the openly selling Canabis shop opposite them and the atmosphere which was building. Anyway one of them said something to another and off he went to the car and came back with a shotgun and told the crowds to disperse. I’m like what the hell, he's armed to the teeth already and now he’s fully capable to taking someone’s head off with the shotgun.

I do beleive that they don’t trust anyone, partly out of fear of the other person(s) having a weapon on them. They are very quick to pull their weapon, and as we’ve seen on TV they don’t mind using excessive force very quickly. There is no talking to them, it’s do what they say or your likely to be in big trouble very quickly.

Like the video I posted the other day, Changes by Tupac, the words are as relevant today as they were back when he wrote it. It’s tragic that George Floyd suffered at the hands of a murderer in a state uniform. He didn’t resist arrest, he didn’t cause any issues for them and rather than sort out any issue they may have had with him they end up killing him. Disgraceful. If what Kent says is true many people have Floyds death on their hands and need to be flushed out the system as the system seems or appears broke.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:40 pm
Admin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm
yeah, I know. I meant he was insinuating that I might be expected to know every quote that contributed to race riots in the 60s? And that it wasn't an issue because I only found out today the history of said quote.
Thought you were being snooty about somebody not knowing the history of the quote when you'd only just found out yourself.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Thor wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

That’s the problem in that country with policing, are they protectors or enforcers. I’ve seen both sides and the side that enforces is not one I’d want to mess with.

I was at Venice beach and was talking to about 5 of them standing on a corner about the area, the openly selling Canabis shop opposite them and the atmosphere which was building. Anyway one of them said something to another and off he went to the car and came back with a shotgun and told the crowds to disperse. I’m like what the hell, he's armed to the teeth already and now he’s fully capable to taking someone’s head off with the shotgun.

I do beleive that they don’t trust anyone, partly out of fear of the other person(s) having a weapon on them. They are very quick to pull their weapon, and as we’ve seen on TV they don’t mind using excessive force very quickly. There is no talking to them, it’s do what they say or your likely to be in big trouble very quickly.

Like the video I posted the other day, Changes by Tupac, the words are as relevant today as they were back when he wrote it. It’s tragic that George Floyd suffered at the hands of a murderer in a state uniform. He didn’t resist arrest, he didn’t cause any issues for them and rather than sort out any issue they may have had with him they end up killing him. Disgraceful. If what Kent says is true many people have Floyds death on their hands and need to be flushed out the system as the system seems or appears broke.
BBC news says he physically resisted arrest. Not that that justifies killing him.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

"Sadly, the trend of fatal police shootings in the United States seems to only be increasing, with a total 228 civilians having been shot, 31 of whom were Black, as of March 30, 2020. In 2018, there were 996 fatal police shootings, and in 2019 this figure increased to 1,004". 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

100 police officers shot is far less than those shot dead by police .
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm
UpminsterO wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:14 pm The world is not a great place at the best of times
It's now descending into morality so low and a stench of a sewer

The extract of the event with that poor man pinned to ground was as barbaric as it gets in our times

I feel so dismayed that a person any person let alone a policeman could act like a thug from hell
I'd even go as far as saying the copper enjoyed it.

His knee was still on his neck when medics were checking for a pulse...

He has killed before too. Think they were on him for 11 minutes with onlookers pleading for restraint and the victim also tried to pleade that he couldn't breath. That copper should already have been in jail. 95% of the police force in Minneapolis live outside the city. Trump is inciting a race war. The way the police have been reacting in comparison to how they dealt with heavily armed right wing militias in the State of Michigan is disturbing. Imagine arresting a CNN news crew live in air. What year is this anyway? America is in a state of crisis.
Last edited by DonaldRocks on Sat May 30, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Kent wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:21 pm This is murder and the policeman / policemen should be convicted as such, rather than merely being dismissed from duty. The previous record of the officer (Derek Chauvin) with his knee on the deceased’s neck while he was handcuffed was very poor. (18 prior complaints filed against him with the Minneapolis Police Department's Internal Affairs)

Black people in America are stopped by police officers much more frequently than other racial groups and 1 in 9 black men under age 25 lives under some form of restrained liberty: in prison, in jail, on probation, or on parole. Black men are also 26% more likely than white men to be remanded in custody!

Regarding the protests, setting fire to the police station and looting; certain individuals always will take advantage of a situation to profit - take the drug companies profit rise during COVIC-19 as an example! - yet one has to wonder what tactics would appeal other than to show their pain and horror by extreme measures.

The Donald Trump‘a rhetoric is rather all-too typical. While he describes White supremacists as “good people” and then calls those protesting George Floyd’s death “thugs”.

Great post.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

It'll be interestibg to see how many high powered weapons have been looted from Walmart .
How many rounds of ammo .

Good old 2nd amendment.
Paddy Grealish
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy Grealish »

Disoriented wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:10 pm No ifs, no buts, this cop has to be charged with murder.

The fact he hasn’t beggars belief.

The aftermath, looting aside, is totally understandable.
This.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Cops finally been taken into custody
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

I believe George Floyd's family would angrily dispute that the police were protecting him.
Covered that point Max. Said he should be prosecuted. I’m sure his family would agree.
And that is exactly what has happened, he has been arrested and charged. Now the evidence can be tested in a court of law. Due process.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Dohnut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:21 pm

And that is exactly what has happened, he has been arrested and charged. Now the evidence can be tested in a court of law. Due process.
Wow, such insight. Thanks for predicting that, didn’t see it coming myself
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

tuffers#1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:02 pm 100 police officers shot is far less than those shot dead by police .
Good
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:01 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:02 pm 100 police officers shot is far less than those shot dead by police .
Good
Really ,
You.are Happy so many Human Beings have shot each other ?

Strange comment
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dohnut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm
I know you like to be controversial and think outside of the box and all that but seriously, just fuk off.