Stabbing by Roger Ascham School

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Stabbing by Roger Ascham School

Post by Disoriented »

Flying Hippo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm B*stardy.
Glorification of violence, cruelty and selfishness on tv, films and video games.
Prevalence and tolerance of drugs.
A national state educational system predicated on cultural-marxist indoctrination; many teachers enthusiastic practitioners thereof.
Wilful destruction of the family unit.
Wilful destruction of Christian religion and its ideological tenets.
Pathological reaction of some morally confused, unfulfilled people to blame anything else rather than the perpetrators.
Importation of Third World style intimidation and street violence.
Utterly inept and misdirected policing.
Widespread inability/resistance to act on conscience and therefore do what is right rather than what is profoundly wrong.
The weakest, shallowest, most superficial society in the history of Western Civilisation.
Errr, are you okay fella?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 pm
Thor wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm Probably angry Max, upset and sad that someone has once again been stabbed, in an area I love.
The bum?
Homophobic. Please retract.
Er, last time I checked ladies had bums too. No retraction offered.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Well aren't I just a big old misogynist? 24hr ban for Chairman PJ.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 pm Well aren't I just a big old misogynist? 24hr ban for Chairman PJ.
:lol:

The homophobic angle honestly never crossed my mind.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Would have been helpful if you'd used the technical term 'back bum' to avoid confusion. We can discuss further tomorrow when my ban expires.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Glorification of violence, cruelty [...]
For glorification of violence and cruelty, one need look no further than the Bible:

Exodus:
12:29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.
12:30 And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

There are scores of examples of this kind of barbarity in 'The Good Book'.
The willful destruction of Christianity - and all religions - would make the world an infinitely better place.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:47 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:32 pm My name is Thor, and i'm here to say.
Stop stabbing people, or you'll get put away.
I only see your actions in isolation
Aint got time to consider wider deprivation.
So I'm saying if you packin', your thinkin' flawed
Imma take you to task on this message board
Who the f*** is this? Pm’ing me at 5:46
In the morning, crack of dawn and
Now I'm yawning, wipe the cold out my eye
See who's this pm’ing me and why?
It's my wigga, Thor, from the message boards
Told me he was in the know about crime and know the intricate causes
Been a long time had my doubts about this Thor;
Says he’s new but I’m not so sure.
Swear down bruv, he’s been here before.....
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Best thread in a long time tbh
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Indeed, still waiting for the hundred good things about Brexit though.

Mikero
Flying Hippo
Fresh Alias

Post by Flying Hippo »

Fatbaz wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:30 am
For glorification of violence and cruelty, one need look no further than the Bible:

Exodus:
12:29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.
12:30 And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

The willful destruction of Christianity - and all religions - would make the world an infinitely better place.
Thank you. You're right, in the Bible there's plenty of smiting, brutality and cruelty, especially in the Old Testament. But taking it literally ignores the purpose and effect of the Reformation. The non-conformist congregations functioned as the cornerstone of modern democracy and allowed the development of liberal, western civilisation across the English speaking world. In such successful and morally confident societies, one by-product has been the encouragement of free thinking and free speech, resulting in the tolerance and even promotion of views such as you've expressed. These views, and your freedom to express them, are a product of the successful struggle to achieve western enlightenment - most of us probably wouldn't dare to write such things in a modern-day Islamic nation in comparison.

The precepts for how to conduct one's life are enshrined in the Ten Commandments and established in the teachings and worship in Protestant non-conformism and even the well-intentioned atheists' suicide club known as Anglicanism. These precepts are also enshrined in Judaism and even to some extent in other non-Christian religions such as Roman Catholicism. The message for developing a successful and manageably socially coherent society was that if you follow the Ten Commandments then you won't go too far wrong.

But people have invariably asked "What if I don't?" That's where a vengeful Supreme Being is required. The punishment for sinning depends on one's own preferred brand of religion and it can vary from quick absolution, a bit of Latin and getting touched up by a priest in Roman Catholicism (and, bar the Latin, high-church Anglicanism) through to inevitable perpetual incineration in Presbyterianism (where the precise heat of the eternal consumption by fire will be determined by the success, constancy and whole-heartedness of one's efforts to achieve partial redemption by behaving better after sinning).

If, as suggested, you have a society in which one is free to do whatever you like without fear of consequences from the Supreme Being then you have next to nothing to prevent man from indulging in his every atavistic bestial and cruel yearning - and there are doubtless many such examples available on the internet.

Yeah, right. You're simply describing a method of social control responsible for almost all the wars ever fought. Your imaginary friend in the sky doesn't exist, does he? Prove he exists!

At this juncture all one can do is mention the existence of a man's conscience and speculate who gave it to him to enable him to tell right from wrong. And why.

A society without the influence of the Good Lord is not a society which believes in nothing, it's a society which flounders around believing any old rubbish in a peculiarly and universally unachievable quest for certainty and meaning to replace religion. That's where we find ourselves now. People, young people especially, do stupid things because they have not thought about, or do not care about the consequences. Intelligent people in their twenties and thirties don't want to have children because they have urges to gratify instead. The complacency of middle aged people to have allowed all this to happen is unforgivable. And the "olds" are now outcast and branded as superfluous and expendable. Contrast that with how other cultures across the remainder of the world treat them with reverence and respect the fact that they might indeed possess the wisdom acquired from experience which can help them guide the others through the vicissitudes which the challenges of life present.

The London stabbings are a direct result of this societal degradation. The prevalent culture of the perpetrators is ugly, cruel, utterly disrespectful (sic), and nihilistic. Many of these young men have grown up without a father and have obtained their moral values from Gangster Rap and Eastenders. Wickedness, selfishness, emotional incontinence and an entitlement to gratify whatever savage urge that possesses them are the features of a society in chaos. It also represents the end of an epoch in history, alas.
Last edited by Flying Hippo on Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:47 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I only see your actions in isolation
Aint got time to consider wider deprivation.
So I'm saying if you packin', your thinkin' flawed
Imma take you to task on this message board
Who the f*** is this? Pm’ing me at 5:46
In the morning, crack of dawn and
Now I'm yawning, wipe the cold out my eye
See who's this pm’ing me and why?
It's my wigga, Thor, from the message boards
Told me he was in the know about crime and know the intricate causes
Been a long time had my doubts about this Thor;
Says he’s new but I’m not so sure.
Swear down bruv, he’s been here before.....
It's Gilso isn't it.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Flying Hippo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 am
Fatbaz wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:30 am

Exodus:

Thank you. You're right, in the Bible there's plenty of smiting, brutality and cruelty, especially in the Old Testament. But taking it literally ignores the purpose and effect of the Reformation. The non-conformist congregations functioned as the cornerstone of modern democracy and allowed the development of liberal, western civilisation across the English speaking world. In such successful and morally confident societies, one by-product has been the encouragement of free thinking and free speech, resulting in the tolerance and even promotion of views such as you've expressed. These views, and your freedom to express them, are a product of the successful struggle to achieve western enlightenment - most of us probably wouldn't dare to write such things in a modern-day Islamic nation in comparison.

The precepts for how to conduct one's life are enshrined in the Ten Commandments and established in the teachings and worship in Protestant non-conformism and even the well-intentioned atheists' suicide club known as Anglicanism. These precepts are also enshrined in Judaism and even to some extent in other non-Christian religions such as Roman Catholicism. The message for developing a successful and manageably socially coherent society was that if you follow the Ten Commandments then you won't go too far wrong.

But people have invariably asked "What if I don't?" That's where a vengeful Supreme Being is required. The punishment for sinning depends on one's own preferred brand of religion and it can vary from quick absolution, a bit of Latin and getting touched up by a priest in Roman Catholicism (and, bar the Latin, high-church Anglicanism) through to inevitable perpetual incineration in Presbyterianism (where the precise heat of the eternal consumption by fire will be determined by the success, constancy and whole-heartedness of one's efforts to achieve partial redemption by behaving better after sinning).

If, as suggested, you have a society in which one is free to do whatever you like without fear of consequences from the Supreme Being then you have next to nothing to prevent man from indulging in his every atavistic bestial and cruel yearning - and there are doubtless many such examples available on the internet.

Yeah, right. You're simply describing a method of social control responsible for almost all the wars ever fought. Your imaginary friend in the sky doesn't exist, does he? Prove he exists!

At this juncture all one can do is mention the existence of a man's conscience and speculate who gave it to him to enable him to tell right from wrong. And why.

A society without the influence of the Good Lord is not a society which believes in nothing, it's a society which flounders around believing any old rubbish in a peculiarly and universally unachievable quest for certainty and meaning to replace religion. That's where we find ourselves now. People, young people especially, do stupid things because they have not thought about, or do not care about the consequences. Intelligent people in their twenties and thirties don't want to have children because they have urges to gratify instead. The complacency of middle aged people to have allowed all this to happen is unforgivable. And the "olds" are now outcast and branded as superfluous and expendable. Contrast that with how other cultures across the remainder of the world treat them with reference and respect the fact that they might indeed possess the wisdom acquired from experience which can help them guide the others through the vicissitudes which the challenges of life present.

The London stabbings are a direct result of this societal degradation. The prevalent culture of the perpetrators is ugly, cruel, utterly disrespectful (sic), and nihilistic. Many of these young men have grown up without a father and have obtained their moral values from Gangster Rap and Eastenders. Wickedness, selfishness, emotional incontinence and an entitlement to gratify whatever savage urge that possesses them are the features of a society in chaos. It also represents the end of an epoch in history, alas.
Does anyone else remember the guy who used to hang about Leicester Square promoting veganism and particularly a nut based diet the alternative to it being eternal damnation.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Thor,
Spen666,
Flying Hippo.

The first three in the new list.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Hi, Hippo,
thanks for your reply.
There's much that you've written that I would take issue with so I'll begin with your second sentence. You write;

"But taking [the Bible] literally ignores the purpose and effect of the Reformation."

Do you believe that the events described in Exodus 12: 29 & 30 literally happened or not :?:
Flying Hippo
Fresh Alias

Post by Flying Hippo »

Fatbaz wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm Hi, Hippo,
thanks for your reply.
There's much that you've written that I would take issue with so I'll begin with your second sentence. You write;

"But taking [the Bible] literally ignores the purpose and effect of the Reformation."

Do you believe that the events described in Exodus 12: 29 & 30 literally happened or not :?:

Please forgive me for not offering you a straight answer to your straight question. It doesn't really matter whether the Bible is literal truth or not. The Decalogue, and especially the commandment prohibiting murder, provides the best advice for leading a good life. A child who spends their childhood playing Grand Theft Auto but has no awareness of the Ten Commandments seems less likely to become a good citizen than one with a more traditional moral upbringing.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

People need a story. The ability to tell, and believe, in a story is at the heart of our nature. It's what sets us apart from our closest evolutionary relatives, and has enabled us to construct our civilisation. It's the basis of everything from a moral code, government, Limited companies, currencies through to human rights, laws and compound interest.

Sometimes, however, the story can change. It can happen slowly at first, but then the change accelerates at a rate that can unleash forces that collapse entire civilisations. It's happened before. Not that I want to worry anyone or anything.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

@ Hippo,

so, you now say that, "It doesn't really matter whether the Bible is literal truth or not."

So we can dispense with the 6-day creation story, the global flood, the virgin birth, the miracles of Jesus,
the resurrection and the promise of salvation :?:

Great. We are agreed that the Bible is nonsense.
Fatbaz
Fresh Alias

Post by Fatbaz »

Dunners wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 pm People need a story. The ability to tell, and believe, in a story is at the heart of our nature."
I would suggest that the ability to discern which stories are baloney and which are worthy of belief is far closer to our nature. I doubt that you have ever been taken-in by an email from a Nigerian prince who wants to give you oodles of cash if you simply give him your bank details. ;)
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Fatbaz wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm
Dunners wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 pm People need a story. The ability to tell, and believe, in a story is at the heart of our nature."
I would suggest that the ability to discern which stories are baloney and which are worthy of belief is far closer to our nature. I doubt that you have ever been taken-in by an email from a Nigerian prince who wants to give you oodles of cash if you simply give him your bank details. ;)
I’ve been taken in by a ginger Prince who wanted to take my cash.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Flying Hippo wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm
Fatbaz wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm Hi, Hippo,
thanks for your reply.

Please forgive me for not offering you a straight answer to your straight question. It doesn't really matter whether the Bible is literal truth or not. The Decalogue, and especially the commandment prohibiting murder, provides the best advice for leading a good life. A child who spends their childhood playing Grand Theft Auto but has no awareness of the Ten Commandments seems less likely to become a good citizen than one with a more traditional moral upbringing.
We don't need the ten commandments to know right from wrong.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Yeah - but you do have to be taught right from wrong - everybody does. I don't believe humans are born with an innate sense of what's right. We usually learn from seeing our elders behave, but it's useful to have some rules written down for reference.

I'm the biggest atheist there is, but the Ten Commandments is just someone sitting down and writing down some basic rules of engagement, surely? They did crow bar in numbers 1 to 3 to boost their particular sect, but the rest are pretty fair rules.

I'm all for them (at least, most of them)
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Does anyone else remember the guy who used to hang about Leicester Square promoting veganism and particularly a nut based diet the alternative to it being eternal damnation.

Indeed, maxy. Good old Stanley Green - the eat less protein man. More Oxford St than Leic Sq, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green

Interesting discussion developed here on moral & religious philosophy, peeps.
Last edited by slacker on Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

StillSpike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am Yeah - but you do have to be taught right from wrong - everybody does. I don't believe humans are born with an innate sense of what's right. We usually learn from seeing our elders behave, but it's useful to have some rules written down for reference.

I'm the biggest atheist there is, but the Ten Commandments is just someone sitting down and writing down some basic rules of engagement, surely? They did crow bar in numbers 1 to 3 to boost their particular sect, but the rest are pretty fair rules.

I'm all for them (at least, most of them)
I thought empathy separated us from the animals.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I think we may well be born with the capacity for empathy (like we're born with the capacity to learn a language or two), but it still has to be learned and developed. Some other mammals seem to be able to develop empathetic traits too.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

StillSpike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:57 am I think we may well be born with the capacity for empathy (like we're born with the capacity to learn a language or two), but it still has to be learned and developed. Some other mammals seem to be able to develop empathetic traits too.
Absolutely they can develop. I watch loads of videos of ducks and goats being best pals. Cute as but also inspiring.