Unemployment

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Esteban
Fresh Alias

Re: Unemployment

Post by Esteban »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:03 pm
Esteban wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm Bottom line is that there have been a series of decent figures of late and whilst of course we understand the vagaries of such stats it’s what we have until someone can come up with a better system. So, accepting that the figures ain’t perfect and subject to all sorts attacks, they are in general positive.

I’m damn sure that if and when the figures show a downturn there will be plenty of people on here quoting them ad nauseam as evidence of the poor job the current lot are doing. It will happen, so we wait and see the hypocrites crawl out of the woodwork. The figures are good “crap data”. The figures are bad “crap Government”. How it works.
What makes them "positive"? Simply because the number has increased?

That's an absurd suggestion.
.?
Your argument appears to be "because employment figures are going up, that is a positive thing", you also seem to believe that anybody questioning the reasons behind how/why they have gone up (and concluding that they might not necessarily be positive reasons) is simply engaging in "Tory-bashing", for the sake of it.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood. However, if I'm correct, then your position seems to be one which posits that as long as the figures go up, then that is positive, without a single consideration behind why they may have gone up. And that is absurd logic.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Sid that's one of the main things wrong with the benefit system. It was created to help and support people when they lost a job or their circumstances changed, not to pay people long term to not bother to work. It was a short term fix not a long term solution. That's nonsense.

My cousin has three kids is pregnant with a fourth and her and her fella have never worked a day in their life, the state pays them to do f all and it annoys me so much. Both are early 20's
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

LittleMate wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:53 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:26 pm

It was no different under labour, please dont kid yourself.
I didn't say it was Mr Alex Smart. However, Labour did introduce tax credits to allieviate poverty for the low paid but the Tories and Yella Tory Lib Dems have been eroding that humane measure for years now.
Tax credits or increasing the national minimum wage: Is there much difference.

The real problem is that you can't please all of the people all of the time - and almost all of the people trying to do it are motivated by political motives as opposed to the well being of those they are supposed to serve.
Thank you for that Professor Sadsac.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:17 pm Sid that's one of the main things wrong with the benefit system. It was created to help and support people when they lost a job or their circumstances changed, not to pay people long term to not bother to work. It was a short term fix not a long term solution. That's nonsense.

My cousin has three kids is pregnant with a fourth and her and her fella have never worked a day in their life, the state pays them to do f all and it annoys me so much. Both are early 20's
They’re in a minority. Don’t judge the rest of the country on your scumbag family.

If it annoys you so much, you could always do the same and join them.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 pm
Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:17 pm Sid that's one of the main things wrong with the benefit system. It was created to help and support people when they lost a job or their circumstances changed, not to pay people long term to not bother to work. It was a short term fix not a long term solution. That's nonsense.

They’re in a minority. Don’t judge the rest of the country on your scumbag family.

How do you know they are in the minority ?
If you know anything at all about the various benefits available in Uk and who claims them, you would not make that statement.
I know of many people who claim mobility cars, Blue badges etc for use for relatives but incorporate for their own personal use.
Uk and no doubt in many other Countries is full of people trying to get away with whatever they can, be it benefits, evading tax, fiddling electric and gas meters, whatever and wherever, it happens and rather naive to believe it doesn't.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:23 pm

If you know anything at all about the various benefits available in Uk and who claims them, you would not make that statement.
I know of many people who claim mobility cars, Blue badges etc for use for relatives but incorporate for their own personal use.
Uk and no doubt in many other Countries is full of people trying to get away with whatever they can, be it benefits, evading tax, fiddling electric and gas meters, it happens.
Wasnt the blue badge the most abused benefit claim in recent years?

Thats why they changed the law on them recently.

People always f* ck it up for those who genuinely need them.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Uk and no doubt in many other Countries is full of people trying to get away with whatever they can, be it benefits, evading tax, fiddling electric and gas meters, it happens.

Completely true, its part of human nature and some abuse it more than others. How many times have we all been offered work done cheaper if money in hand and no VAT !!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Completely true, its part of human nature and some abuse it more than others. How many times have we all been offered work done cheaper if money in hand and no VAT !!
Which is part of the problem of Society .

People skanking HMRC so they can save a few sheckles instead of declaring it & paying there dues .

Schools Hospitals Police Dss etc could all have put that money to good use.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Which is part of the problem of Society .

People skanking HMRC so they can save a few sheckles instead of declaring it & paying there dues .

Schools Hospitals Police Dss etc could all have put that money to good use.
I read somewhere ( don't know if its true ? ) that if everyone paid their tax in full, including not avoiding VAT, that the income tax basic rate would change from the present 20% to 10%.
Moving to USA, still waiting for Congress to see Trump's income tax returns, he is also blocking Congress from seeing the full Mueller report..........how can that be right in any shape or form right ? Fiddling and fraud the world over and the richer they are the worse it gets, witness many leaders in very poor countries who hide away millions of dollars more than they could ever spend, pure and utter greed !!
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

You really are a tosser. How old are you? How about I ram my fist so far down your throat I bring back up your breakfast?

Why would I join them? I'm a multi millionaire you tw*t.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

He's certainly old enough to know better, Thor.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 pm

You really are a tosser. How old are you? How about I ram my fist so far down your throat I bring back up your breakfast?

:lol:
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:17 pm My cousin has three kids is pregnant with a fourth and her and her fella have never worked a day in their life, the state pays them to do f all and it annoys me so much. Both are early 20's
This kind of thing used to annoy me, but less so now.
These people I would guarantee are having zero quality of life - slobbing about all morning watching Jeremy Kyle/Loose Women; with one colourless day rolling into the next with no distinction.
They would have no pride, their brains would be shrunken from not using them, and their over-bearing sense of entitlement would be the only thing driving them.
The system is there to protect those that fall on hard times. A small proportion will no doubt abuse it; like this crowd; but imho the joke is on them.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

Thor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 pm

understandable reaction.
using unacceptable language about Thors family is not necessary.
we all react differently to other boarders posts, embarrassing them is not the way to go.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Yep, perfectly rational. Let's hope the mods take appropriate action against this character.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Temporary ban for threatening another user.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Why is anecdotal testimony such as "my second cousin and his wife have 4 kids and they all claim benefits and are planning on having another one and they've never had a job" somehow accepted as proof that millions of others are doing the same?

Surely my anecdotal evidence of "I literally know nobody who has 4 kids and they all claim benefits and are planning on having another one and they've never had a job" is equally valid to posit that basically nobody is doing the same?

All very strange.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Esteban wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm Why is anecdotal testimony such as "my second cousin and his wife have 4 kids and they all claim benefits and are planning on having another one and they've never had a job" somehow accepted as proof that millions of others are doing the same?

Surely my anecdotal evidence of "I literally know nobody who has 4 kids and they all claim benefits and are planning on having another one and they've never had a job" is equally valid to posit that basically nobody is doing the same?

All very strange.
To be fair, I also know of families who've had loads of kids and spend all their time skiving about whilst claiming benefits. But, as Scuba Diver mentioned above said, I don't let it wind me up as their quality of life must be sh*t.

That being said, they do apparently generate a lot of dosh for the economy through tourism, so it's not all bad.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

What’s the point of working if you can’t support those who don’t want to. Hard enough sleeping most of the day and knocking out kids. They need our help.
orienfan64920
Fresh Alias

Post by orienfan64920 »

It's no wonder unemployment is low when so many are on inhumane 0 hour contracts, and with everyone expected to stay in education for so much longer. If unemployment was in a good place, you'd expect poverty to be falling at least, and it isn't.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Red_Army wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm
Esteban wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 pm Pretty sure employment stats include nonsense like 0 hours contracts and "self-employed" people who actually work for the likes of Uber & Deliveroo. Potentially unpaid internships included in that as well?

What I'm more interested in is how many people have stable, regular hours, regular income jobs with suitable employee protection and benefits.

I'd imagine that is at an all time low.

Usually stay away from the political threads on here (although I did have a little lapse on a Farage thread yesterday), but I declare a professional interest in this particular topic. I know all about lies, danmed lies and statistics.
Spot on.

Imagine what the Tories could do without Brexit? You don't need to- have a look at 2010-2015 (even restrained by the Lib Dems) and 1979-1997. There's what they do. Decimate industry and proper, stable employment and turn us into a country relying on services to provide the tax revenue to stop the country collapsing completely.
This x 1000.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

orienfan64920 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:12 pm If unemployment was in a good place, you'd expect poverty to be falling at least, and it isn't.

Cuts through the rest of the bullshit on this thread rather perfectly.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Unemployment’s rising in the Chigley end of town
And it’s spreading like pneumonia
Doesn’t look like going down
There’s trouble at the fire station someone’s had the sack
And the lads are going to launch a scheme get rid of Captain Flack
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Dunners wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm
Esteban wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm Why is anecdotal testimony such as "my second cousin and his wife have 4 kids and they all claim benefits and are planning on having another one and they've never had a job" somehow accepted as proof that millions of others are doing the same?

All very strange.
To be fair, I also know of families who've had loads of kids and spend all their time skiving about whilst claiming benefits. But, as Scuba Diver mentioned above said, I don't let it wind me up as their quality of life must be sh*t.

That being said, they do apparently generate a lot of dosh for the economy through tourism, so it's not all bad.
:lol:

Dunnem is back, dunnem is back, hello, hello.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

spen666 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm Unemployment’s rising in the Chigley end of town
And it’s spreading like pneumonia
Doesn’t look like going down
There’s trouble at the fire station someone’s had the sack
And the lads are going to launch a scheme get rid of Captain Flack
Appreciate these are lyrics but "And it’s spreading like pneumonia" is a terrible lyric.