Troy Deeney

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Troy Deeney

Post by banqo »

Dunners wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:27 am
Admin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 pm Maybe he'd like to be able to go home at night and spend precious time with his relatively new-born child.
Give it time - that'll change.
Makes a change from reading about a Premier League player breaking lockdown fo a quick shag.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 pm
EH16 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:19 pm All employers have a duty of care to keep their employees safe from harm and injury. As Watford cannot fulfil this in relation to the virus Deeney is perfectly entitled to refuse to return to work. He is also well within his legal and moral rights to insist on being paid his full salary. The amount he gets paid has absolutely nothing to do with it.
So are Watford failing in their duty of care towards their other players as well?

I would say that with the number of tests being provided and the other measures being proposed, which has led to a number of commentators saying that a football training ground is as safe as any other environment at this time, that football clubs are providing a duty of care far in excess of other employers.
NO employer is able to state that their employees are safe from harm and so must fail the duty of care requirements. So, yes Watford are failing their other employees. If other players make a different choice than Deeney has, that is their perogative but does NOTHING to invalidate his choice. Equally, what other employers are, or are not, doing has nothing to do with it.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Can people be docked pay if they refuse to go to work in fear of their safety even is their employer says it's safe ?
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

BIGRON wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm Can people be docked pay if they refuse to go to work in fear of their safety even is their employer says it's safe ?
Yes, that's how most employers are forcing people back to work. Your remedy, as an individual, would probably be a legal case.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

And join a union.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

point nine one eight wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:36 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 pm It's an interesting issue.

I'm on the side of Deeney with this one as his boys health is far more important than anything else but the question is:-

Whilst there are people who want to work but are unable to due to being furloughed should those who are able to but refuse on health grounds have their salary reduced?
So if he is a true pro and still wishes to still pick up his salary of many thousands of pounds per week, then why not isolate himself from his son for these few weeks of training and playing ? Sure he could afford to pay for separate accommodation for a few weeks ?
As ever Sid your spot on
My Father was in the territorial army ( London Scottish Regiment ) and signed up for the army as soon as world war 2 started in September 1939, at the time he had a young daughter of 2 years old ( my sister ) and my mum was expecting a baby ( my older brother ) He was in a reserved occupation and also at the time classed as too old to join in the call up, so had no need to rush up to enlist. He was eventually shipped out in early 1940 to North Africa ( 8th Army ) saw that campaign through and was then shipped across to Italy for the Italian campaign. He eventually came home in October 1944 and saw my brother for the FIRST time ! Dad went to the war with a full head of hair and came back nearly bald, down to stress and for all the rest of his life he suffered with nightmares where he was recalling the terrible things he had seen and been through. In those days ex army post traumatic stress disorder was not a recognised illness. I have all the letters that he sent to my mum while abroad in which he kept saying about hoping the war would end soon. Away from his wife and young family for 5 years and all this for a peanuts wage and the constant risk ( as were other servicemen ) of being killed or badly injured ! Two of my aunties, although coming from a well of family in Woodford and doing office jobs, also enlisted as ''Land Army Girls'' to do their bit ! So different times when families were separated and for a LOT longer than a few weeks while the men folk play football for very large wages !
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:49 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 pm

So if he is a true pro and still wishes to still pick up his salary of many thousands of pounds per week, then why not isolate himself from his son for these few weeks of training and playing ? Sure he could afford to pay for separate accommodation for a few weeks ?
As ever Sid your spot on
My Father was in the territorial army ( London Scottish Regiment ) and signed up for the army as soon as world war 2 started in September 1939, at the time he had a young daughter of 2 years old ( my sister ) and my mum was expecting a baby ( my older brother ) He was in a reserved occupation and also at the time classed as too old to join in the call up, so had no need to rush up to enlist. He was eventually shipped out in early 1940 to North Africa ( 8th Army ) saw that campaign through and was then shipped across to Italy for the Italian campaign. He eventually came home in October 1944 and saw my brother for the FIRST time ! Dad went to the war with a full head of hair and came back nearly bald, down to stress and for all the rest of his life he suffered with nightmares where he was recalling the terrible things he had seen and been through. In those days ex army post traumatic stress disorder was not a recognised illness. I have all the letters that he sent to my mum while abroad in which he kept saying about hoping the war would end soon. Away from his wife and young family for 5 years and all this for a peanuts wage and the constant risk ( as were other servicemen ) of being killed or badly injured ! Two of my aunties, although coming from a well of family in Woodford and doing office jobs, also enlisted as ''Land Army Girls'' to do their bit ! So different times when families were separated and for a LOT longer than a few weeks while the men folk play football for very large wages !
So Sid, tell me, did the Army take all possible steps to ensure that their employees were safe from harm and complete their duty of care requirements?
Paddy Grealish
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy Grealish »

Redcard wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:21 pm I spent an entire flight sitting next to Troy . 30 plus of the watford squad were on the plane and I must say they were extremely well behaved. A real nice guy.
He even out talked me, which is some feat, and told me his father had a reputation for being a bit tasty and would often take on several guys .
He wasn't so nice when he kicked a student in the head, for which he got sent down.

Horrible c*nt.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Paddy Grealish wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm
Redcard wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:21 pm I spent an entire flight sitting next to Troy . 30 plus of the watford squad were on the plane and I must say they were extremely well behaved. A real nice guy.
He even out talked me, which is some feat, and told me his father had a reputation for being a bit tasty and would often take on several guys .
He wasn't so nice when he kicked a student in the head, for which he got sent down.

Horrible c*nt.
Hardly Elliot Omozusi
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Ben Tozer (Cheltenham): "-Our striker Reuben Reid's wife is currently in remission from cancer. She has been told by the NHS to shield. What do you say to Reuben, if he has to come back and play and then potentially infect his wife and kids?"

Not just a problem for PL players.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Bergen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 am Ben Tozer (Cheltenham): "-Our striker Reuben Reid's wife is currently in remission from cancer. She has been told by the NHS to shield. What do you say to Reuben, if he has to come back and play and then potentially infect his wife and kids?"

A good point well made.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:49 pm
As ever Sid your spot on
So Sid, tell me, did the Army take all possible steps to ensure that their employees were safe from harm and complete their duty of care requirements?
Oh sure ! Like sending out our men to die in british tanks at the start of the war to fight the Germans, tanks so outdated with poor armament and thin armour that were no match for the superior German Panzers. Also the Sherman tank had big problem, read below.
e.g ''The main problem was the use of high octane gasoline engines for the Shermans. While it was possible to use diesels, the diesel was in very short supply and there were lots of US plants making gasoline powered engines, especially aircraft and automobile type engines. The US was the leading producer of high Octane Gasoline during the war. It took more petroleum to produce so most countries avoided using it. High Octane fuel gave Spitfires an advantage of the early marks of the Bf 109. Once you hit a Sherman, the fuel system started to leak a bit and the ammunition was prone to catch fire. Later models used a "wet storage" system that kept the ammo from exploding easily. High Octane has a higher flashpoint than Regular and is much higher than Diesel. In fact Diesel was used on some tanks as protection from HEAT type rounds.
I heard the Germans refer to Grants and Shermans as "Tommy Cookers" and "Ronsons". The Ronson had a catchy slogun that went "Lights first time, every time!".
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Apart from the ludicrous comparison of the current pandemic with sending men off to fight in the Second World War, why do people keep bringing someone's wages into it?
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Disoriented wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:05 am
Bergen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 am Ben Tozer (Cheltenham): "-Our striker Reuben Reid's wife is currently in remission from cancer. She has been told by the NHS to shield. What do you say to Reuben, if he has to come back and play and then potentially infect his wife and kids?"

A good point well made.
Yes we 'd all agree that it doesn't make sense for this fella to play but what % of footballers does it actually hit I'd go with less than 3.

They should be treated the same as every one in the normal world who's employers also wouldn't ask them to go into the office or get on public transport for as long it was feasible to keep their jobs open.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm Apart from the ludicrous comparison of the current pandemic with sending men off to fight in the Second World War, why do people keep bringing someone's wages into it?
He is getting paid a huge wage to do what he is paid for, kicking a ball about while meanwhile others on far less money who work for the club are furloughed for the tax payers to pay their wages. I am sure he could make the sacrifice of being away from his family for such a short time, I know I would if I was in his position. Years ago people separated by work or other reasons such as being in the armed forces, had no other contact than by letters, no internet or mobile phones. Such a feeling of entitlement in this day and age.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 pm Apart from the ludicrous comparison of the current pandemic with sending men off to fight in the Second World War, why do people keep bringing someone's wages into it?
He is getting paid a huge wage to do what he is paid for, kicking a ball about while meanwhile others on far less money who work for the club are furloughed for the tax payers to pay their wages. I am sure he could make the sacrifice of being away from his family for such a short time, I know I would if I was in his position. Years ago people separated by work or other reasons such as being in the armed forces, had no other contact than by letters, no internet or mobile phones. Such a feeling of entitlement in this day and age.
What utter drivel. If you'd give up seeing your family for the sake of playing football then, quite frankly, they'd be better off without you.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

EH16 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:00 pm
What utter drivel. If you'd give up seeing your family for the sake of playing football then, quite frankly, they'd be better off without you.
Its not drivel though is it?

How many people have jobs that require them to not see their family for weeks on end? Are their families better off without them as well?

Its not the fact that it is playing football but that it is his job and that is what he is paid to do.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Ornchurch.....................I bet you are white. I wonder if you were a different colour and was aware of the heightened danger that Covid 19 presented you, whether you would write such tosh?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

West Side Story wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:06 pm Ornchurch.....................I bet you are white. I wonder if you were a different colour and was aware of the heightened danger that Covid 19 presented you, whether you would write such tosh?
Actually mate I am white, whatever difference that makes. I am also aware of the heightened danger that Covid 19 presents me as I am a cancer sufferer.

Additionally when I was younger and able to work I spent 3 years working away from home and only seeing family at weekends.

Does that allow me an opinion??

I tell you one thing. He is a lot safer than I am given the amount of testing that he is getting.
I also reckon that the Watford training ground is a lot safer than the supermarkets that my wife has to visit so that we can eat.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

If he was earning minimum wage, would you still take the same view?

Again, what the f*** does fighting in a war 80 years ago have to do with this?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Nothing. That was just Sid being Sid.

Deeney's son is five months old so can completely understand him not wanting to be away from him or his wife.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Nothing. That was just Sid being Sid.

Deeney's son is five months old so can completely understand him not wanting to be away from him or his wife.
It's completely understandable. Time spent away from your kids is time you will never get back.

At 5 months old they are wee smashers.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Won't somebody please think of the children!
Paddy Grealish
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy Grealish »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm Won't somebody please think of the children!
What does that mean?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Paddy Grealish wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm Won't somebody please think of the children!
What does that mean?
Nevermind