What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

HeyO
Fresh Alias

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by HeyO »

Constanza wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:20 pm
StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am Giri Haji was quite fun, if occasionally a little odd.
Halfway through this on Netflix. Really enjoying it, all the characters are interesting.
I really want to go to Japan.
The Japanese bits are the best bits. The cockney gangster is an annoying chap.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Lovejoy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 pm Van der Valk was better this week, I thought last week's episode was a bit slow.
Enjoying Van Der Valk , unfortunately only 3 episodes in this series ☹
OldTownO
Fresh Alias

Post by OldTownO »

Normal People - worth a watch, two good lead actors

Chernobyl - Decent cast, compelling viewing. It's quite old I know, but scary to see incompetence and cover ups causing unnecessary death on a grand scale!
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Chernobyl was excellent - they didn’t try to ‘entertain’.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Reached the middle of Series 11 of ER after starting at Series 5 - intentionally missing most of the George Clooney years.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I finally watched The Irishman last night. I generally find you have reflect on a movie a bit, and give it the benefit of a few re-watches (assuming you like it enough to do so) before passing judgement. But, in my opinion, it's a solid addition to the Scorsese cannon. It will never achieve the iconic status of his earlier movies of course, but there's a lot to praise about this film.

While the running time at 3.5 hours was long, there wasn't much in the script that felt like it could have been cut. Everything seemed to add depth to the plot. It was paced to balance out periods of epic reflection with moments of brutal action and violence, all while never loosing its atmosphere. Throughout the movie, a mood was captured and maintained using a combination of sound, cinematography and ad-libbing by the actors.

The cast were brilliant, and everyone delivered a solid performance. De Niro's staring eyes, while almost hidden deep into the expressionless features of his face, were the focus of almost every scene he was in. He played the part brilliantly, of a man whose humanity had long been lost and was no longer able to even connect with what he had lost. That made the rare emotional connection all the more powerful, such as when confessing to the priest at the end when he muttered; "what kind of man would make that phone call?"

Pesci was cool and understated. He played to his strengths given his advanced years, but still maintained that sense of menace lurking beneath the surface. The heir to Pesci's throne in terms of sheer barely-restrained terror is Stephen Graham. I thought he was great as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire, so it was good to see him revive his role as a gangster in a Scorsese movie.

Pacino was Pacino. A charismatic performance as Hoffa, while being kept in check by the screen presence of De Niro. The two worked brilliantly in every scene they shared but, while De Niro still shone either on his own or with others, Pacino didn't (IMO). I've always rated De Niro as the greatest out of these two fine actors and, for me, this film settled that debate.

Not everything was great. The de-ageing techniques were not great, but I was able to look past that and it didn't ruin the experience for me. Also, the young Peggy Sheeran character wasn't developed well enough. She clearly had developed an instinctive dislike of Russell Bufalino, but what led to this was not fleshed out enough to make it feel right. This, along with the under-development of several other supporting characters (i.e. family members) would need the film to have been turned into a mini-series to correct however. Personally, I'd have been cool with that.

But as the films fades to its end, it keeps playing on your mind. You keep dwelling on what you've watched. For me, that is a sign of a good movie.

And it's better than bloody Reservoir Dogs and Sacrface.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

That review is as long as the filem.

I may give it another watch now I have time.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Suburra Blood on Rome on Netflix is fulfilling my corrupt politician/gangs/scumbag/subtitles needs with extra bonus of glorious filming of Rome and its surrounds.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

"Unorthodox" (Netflix).

I have only seen two episodes, but not too impressed.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:13 pm
StillSpike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm Was this the 10-parter (?) Had plently of declassified tape conversations in it ? If so, then I watched it a while ago and thought it was superb. If not - then find the one I did.

On another note, last night I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm for the first time ever and am very glad I did. I how have another 89 episodes to watch and shall enjoy them I'm sure.
Probably the best and funniest American sitcom ever made. It always makes me laugh how Larry just drifts into these situations
and just can't see it coming.

The one you will find the funniest is the chef with Tourette's Syndrome. Enjoy.

Last night we watched the one with the typo in the beloved aunt's obituary ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Dunners wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm I finally watched The Irishman last night. I generally find you have reflect on a movie a bit, and give it the benefit of a few re-watches (assuming you like it enough to do so) before passing judgement. But, in my opinion, it's a solid addition to the Scorsese cannon. It will never achieve the iconic status of his earlier movies of course, but there's a lot to praise about this film.

While the running time at 3.5 hours was long, there wasn't much in the script that felt like it could have been cut. Everything seemed to add depth to the plot. It was paced to balance out periods of epic reflection with moments of brutal action and violence, all while never loosing its atmosphere. Throughout the movie, a mood was captured and maintained using a combination of sound, cinematography and ad-libbing by the actors.

The cast were brilliant, and everyone delivered a solid performance. De Niro's staring eyes, while almost hidden deep into the expressionless features of his face, were the focus of almost every scene he was in. He played the part brilliantly, of a man whose humanity had long been lost and was no longer able to even connect with what he had lost. That made the rare emotional connection all the more powerful, such as when confessing to the priest at the end when he muttered; "what kind of man would make that phone call?"

Pesci was cool and understated. He played to his strengths given his advanced years, but still maintained that sense of menace lurking beneath the surface. The heir to Pesci's throne in terms of sheer barely-restrained terror is Stephen Graham. I thought he was great as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire, so it was good to see him revive his role as a gangster in a Scorsese movie.

Pacino was Pacino. A charismatic performance as Hoffa, while being kept in check by the screen presence of De Niro. The two worked brilliantly in every scene they shared but, while De Niro still shone either on his own or with others, Pacino didn't (IMO). I've always rated De Niro as the greatest out of these two fine actors and, for me, this film settled that debate.

Not everything was great. The de-ageing techniques were not great, but I was able to look past that and it didn't ruin the experience for me. Also, the young Peggy Sheeran character wasn't developed well enough. She clearly had developed an instinctive dislike of Russell Bufalino, but what led to this was not fleshed out enough to make it feel right. This, along with the under-development of several other supporting characters (i.e. family members) would need the film to have been turned into a mini-series to correct however. Personally, I'd have been cool with that.

But as the films fades to its end, it keeps playing on your mind. You keep dwelling on what you've watched. For me, that is a sign of a good movie.

And it's better than bloody Reservoir Dogs and Sacrface.
Check this out for a laugh https://www.the-editing-room.com/the-irishman.html
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I think of The Irishman as the 3rd part of Scorsese's mafia trilogy. This one concentrating on labor movement shenanigans.

And like the last of The Godfather trilogy, this one wasn’t a patch on the other 2, didn’t really need making, but worth a watch nonetheless.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Currently watching Big Little Lies S2 and Ozark S3 which has been great.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Bergen wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 am "Unorthodox" (Netflix).

I have only seen two episodes, but not too impressed.
I quite enjoyed this. The way she quickly made mates in Berlin was a bit unbelievable, but the flashbacks to her Brooklyn life were very good. Tis a strange cult.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Hustlers- a group of strippers, each a different race, get men drunk and high then run up huge bills on their credit cards. Watchable but not particularly gripping. On Amazon Prime.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Ozark s3 was alright but the introduction of Wendy’s brother was a bit silly as a plot device. Tend to agree with this:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... hark-ozark
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Well i did think that he doesnt look or sound anything like her.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Bloodline - fantastic series, particularly seasons 1&2. Full of smouldering tension and bristling malevolence.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Anybody else with Charlie Brooker's Anti-Viral Wipe last night on bbc2? Was very good skewering Johnson & Co's failings, as well as providing a good laugh at the insanity of everything right now. I'm always happy to hear some Barry Shitpeas philosophy, but I particularly liked Cunk's suggestion of vaccine biscuits, and seeing the lovely Konnie Huq pop up on screen was a pleasure.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Normal People melting the phone in lines on radio in Ireland. He gets his lad out apparently.

It's actually brilliant, seen the first 4 so far.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

slacker wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 am Anybody else with Charlie Brooker's Anti-Viral Wipe last night on bbc2? Was very good skewering Johnson & Co's failings, as well as providing a good laugh at the insanity of everything right now. I'm always happy to hear some Barry Shitpeas philosophy, but I particularly liked Cunk's suggestion of vaccine biscuits, and seeing the lovely Konnie Huq pop up on screen was a pleasure.
Hilarious to see the clip of Boris boasting about shaking hands with a ward full of coronavirus patients.

Also enjoyed Cunks crisp filled bap interview.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

If you fancy a footy documentary with a difference, try Return to Real Kashmir FC on the BBC iPlayer. This follows Scottish manager David Robertson (ex-Aberdeen and Leeds) and his life in Kashmir. Interesting and entertaining
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-1

Simply Stunning
It will make you smile & cry .

Humanity at its finest
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

"Le Bureau". Very good.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Constanza wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:07 am Normal People melting the phone in lines on radio in Ireland. He gets his lad out apparently.

It's actually brilliant, seen the first 4 so far.
My daughter has told me it's a "teenage girl" program that I'm not allowed to watch. I did enjoy the first one.

The main character is a very talented young actress, who was also decent in War of the Worlds (the French one, which was also good) and Cold Feet.