Australia starting to relax social isolation rules

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Australia starting to relax social isolation rules

Post by Adz »

Each state doing it slightly differently. Here in NSW you can now invite another family to your house.

Thought i'd see how the UK is doing compared to OZ and can't believe the differences. For simplicity lets say the UK population is 3x Oz (it's actually less) to do a comparison

Cases: 6,731 v 53,832 (161,495)
Recoverd: 5,626 v N/A (WTF?)
Tests: 530,679 v 254,462 (763,387)
Deaths 89 v 7,226 (21,678)

Looks like the UK leaders got a lot of things wrong the last couple of months.

At the moment you're getting 4,000 new cases a day. We've started to relax rules with less than 20 cases a day for the last 10 days. If UK follows suit you've got at least a month if not longer of your current restrictions.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Australia starting to relax social isolation rules

Post by Disoriented »

No sh*t Sherlock. Our leaders have been clueless, spineless and directionless.
We can’t even count care home deaths.
☹️
TrickorTreat
Fresh Alias

Post by TrickorTreat »

Why on earth are they talking about restarting the premiership when the curve in the UK is only just flattening. Kick last year into touch and start again in August.
Am a big fan of our border with New South Wales being closed. Shame we can't keep that in place for a while longer :D
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Think a bit of objectivity is needed Oz is 30 times the size of the UK with 40% of the population so it was always going to be easier to stop the spread there. That's not to say that our government hasn't done many things wrong but using that as an example doesn't really prove much.

Size of Australia 7.692 million km² and population 25.2 million

Size of the uk 242,495 km² and population 66.65

Comparing us with Germany and France is better as the population sizes and land masses are closer in size.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

According to my family there, in Perth private golf courses have remained open, but players can only play two at a time and must each use a buggy and club bars are shut. Over here no golf at all.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

EliotNes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am According to my family there, in Perth private golf courses have remained open, but players can only play two at a time and must each use a buggy and club bars are shut. Over here no golf at all.
Before lockdown our club were allowing two balls only and tee times 16 minutes apart as opposed to the usual 8 minutes, no buggies and no clubhouse facilities. We are hoping that when lockdown is relaxed golf comes back on these terms.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

JimbO wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:41 am Think a bit of objectivity is needed Oz is 30 times the size of the UK with 40% of the population so it was always going to be easier to stop the spread there. That's not to say that our government hasn't done many things wrong but using that as an example doesn't really prove much.

Size of Australia 7.692 million km² and population 25.2 million

Size of the uk 242,495 km² and population 66.65

Comparing us with Germany and France is better as the population sizes and land masses are closer in size.
The vast majority of the country is unpopulated though with almost half the population in 2 cities
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Germany about to stiffen matters up a little bit as the infection rate is now back touching 1.0. Reports suggest Bundesliga is going to put back its start.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 am
EliotNes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am According to my family there, in Perth private golf courses have remained open, but players can only play two at a time and must each use a buggy and club bars are shut. Over here no golf at all.
Before lockdown our club were allowing two balls only and tee times 16 minutes apart as opposed to the usual 8 minutes, no buggies and no clubhouse facilities. We are hoping that when lockdown is relaxed golf comes back on these terms.
Similar to my old mans they'd put bits of wood around the holes so nobody even had to touch them just rolled the ball up to it.. It must be one of the easiest sports to practice social distancing in.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

I hope we can get out on the courses again quickly. My new Callaway driver is just gathering dust now. Think I've only done 2 rounds with it.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

EliotNes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:19 pm
I hope we can get out on the courses again quickly. My new Callaway driver is just gathering dust now. Think I've only done 2 rounds with it.
Yes I'm hopeful we'll get back on the course sometime around the middle of May.

A bit of pool noodle around the bottom of the pin will stop the ball dropping out of reach - no touching the flag, no bunker rakes or ball cleaners etc etc. Our first medal of the year was the immediately before it all got stopped completely, but we'd already introduced these measure - had scoring by app so no-one needed to touch a card. We stayed well away from each other - did jazz hands instead of shaking. Messed up once when finding a partners lost ball out of bounds and picked it up and threw it to him, but other than that, the game lends itself to social distancing.

Tbh there's no really need in my eyes to even have competitions - just get out and enjoy. Scottish Golf are helping Clubs plan for the re-opening, and it looks like it'll be single players or family groups only at first and see how that goes. To be honest, even when I'm playing with others in the group my golf is so bad I'm social distancing anyway, so it'll be little different.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm
EliotNes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes I'm hopeful we'll get back on the course sometime around the middle of May.

A bit of pool noodle around the bottom of the pin will stop the ball dropping out of reach - no touching the flag, no bunker rakes or ball cleaners etc etc. Our first medal of the year was the immediately before it all got stopped completely, but we'd already introduced these measure - had scoring by app so no-one needed to touch a card. We stayed well away from each other - did jazz hands instead of shaking. Messed up once when finding a partners lost ball out of bounds and picked it up and threw it to him, but other than that, the game lends itself to social distancing.

Tbh there's no really need in my eyes to even have competitions - just get out and enjoy. Scottish Golf are helping Clubs plan for the re-opening, and it looks like it'll be single players or family groups only at first and see how that goes. To be honest, even when I'm playing with others in the group my golf is so bad I'm social distancing anyway, so it'll be little different.
I was on Old Ranfurly GC yesterday and came across a Highland Cow calf wandering about. I whistled and called it over but it just stood staring at me.

As soon as I turned my back to walk away it started running toward me. I'm not sure whether it was being friendly or aggressive but I hid behind the nearest tree. It came over, had a look and then walked off in the direction of where it's mates were across the burn.

True story.
Glenthorne
Fresh Alias

Post by Glenthorne »

I appreciate there are lies god damn lies and statistics but surely population density is the best basis to assess likelyhood of contagion.

If you use Greater Sydney it works out to a popultion density of approximately 430 per squre km wheras Greater London calculates to approxomately 4,500 per squre km.

So it is no surprise that we have been worse off.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Glenthorne wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm I appreciate there are lies god damn lies and statistics but surely population density is the best basis to assess likelyhood of contagion.

If you use Greater Sydney it works out to a popultion density of approximately 430 per squre km wheras Greater London calculates to approxomately 4,500 per squre km.

So it is no surprise that we have been worse off.
Fine how about comparing to wales to new south wales then. A population of 3.3mm 5,600 cases compared to 7.5mm 3,000 cases. 5mm all live in sydney a far more densely populated city than any in wales. Yet a state more densely populated with more than twice the population of wales has half the cases. Unless there's different strains that we're not being told about your leaders screwed you.
Glenthorne
Fresh Alias

Post by Glenthorne »

I stand by my earlier assumptions.

I feel you are not comparing apples with apples.

If you use NSW then you must use its population density which is approximately 9.1 persons per square km as opposed to Wales which is approximately 150 per square km.

Alternatively use the capitals where Cardiff is 2,500 per sq km against sydney is 430 per sq km.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Unfortunately the data capture in the UK is so poor it is not possible to compare at that level.

I appreciate population density is relevant but it's pretty misleading. The vast majority of Oz is in densely populated areas with 80% of the country more or less uninhabited. Again greater sydney is a broad city, with the vast majority densely populated.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Adz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:39 am Unfortunately the data capture in the UK is so poor it is not possible to compare at that level.

I appreciate population density is relevant but it's pretty misleading. The vast majority of Oz is in densely populated areas with 80% of the country more or less uninhabited. Again greater sydney is a broad city, with the vast majority densely populated.
It is only "unihabited" because colonialists like you murdered the inhabitants.
SwallO
Fresh Alias

Post by SwallO »

Glenthorne wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:36 pm I stand by my earlier assumptions.

I feel you are not comparing apples with apples.

If you use NSW then you must use its population density which is approximately 9.1 persons per square km as opposed to Wales which is approximately 150 per square km.

Alternatively use the capitals where Cardiff is 2,500 per sq km against sydney is 430 per sq km.
Glenthorne by your logic , how do you explain the 4 deaths in Hong Kong, compared to the 20000 deaths in the UK ? I live in Sydney and although its too early to get the full picture your logic isn't sound.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:46 am
Adz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:39 am Unfortunately the data capture in the UK is so poor it is not possible to compare at that level.

It is only "unihabited" because colonialists like you murdered the inhabitants.
:lol:
SwallO
Fresh Alias

Post by SwallO »

Adz I think we've been pretty lucky down here as the parks are busy and we've had lots of stores still open. we've kept our kids out of school, but know quite a few parents who have sent their kids back since wednesday, just because they are driving them mad at home. am still struggling to understand how target and kmart are essential stores but the numbers seem ok so not worrying too much about it.
Glenthorne
Fresh Alias

Post by Glenthorne »

As I said from the start there are lies god damn lies and statitistics.

The essence of my argument was to highlight that there are many factors that affect contagious rate and bearing in mind social distancing seems to be most governments mantra it follows that populaion density is an important, not sole, factor.

Re Sydneys population density I agree that whilst using Greater Sydney worked when using Grater London I should have used sydney rather than Greater, which calculates to approximately 1171 when comparing with Cardiff.

Regarding Hong Kong death rate my only comment is that it is a spectacular result if only I could believe it.