Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Long slender neck »

Twitter says it does not currently see evidence that the UK government has tried to manipulate coronavirus conversations using fake accounts.

It comes after claims began circulating on social media implying the Department of Health and Social Care was behind a network of Twitter accounts pretending to be NHS staff.

These accounts, which were allegedly posting in support of the government, appear to have been deleted.

The Department of Health tweeted that the claims were “categorically false”.

Twitter adds that it “will remove any pockets of smaller coordinated attempts to distort or inorganically influence the conversation”.

The BBC also currently has no evidence to support the suggestion these allegedly fake accounts had anything to do with the UK government.
Hmmm.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm 873 deaths
I don't understand why we aren't seeing this drop off yet?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The fake account (now deleted)

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 pm The fake account (now deleted)
:D

Love the "transitioning in 2020" touch in the profile. They must have been having a right giggle when they made that one up.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So Hancock has said in today’s briefing that not one piece of ppe has been delivered from the eu scheme.

Discuss that quote.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

I see 502 of the 730 deaths in Ireland happened in residential care settings. That must mean the true figure in the UK is off the charts.

No mass gatherings of 5000 or more in Ireland up until at least the end of August. I can't see the UK going down a different route TBH. What do you all think?
Last edited by DonaldRocks on Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm
point nine one eight wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:53 am Denmark is refusing to give state aid to firms that pay dividends to share holders and registered in tax havens, now that I like
But you voted Tory?
What's that got to do with it. I'm also a strong unionist. I've also voted Labour most of my life, flirted with the Reds, not the stupid Libdems or the Damp Grass Party (greens) for the ones that can't think. But none of them could run a bath let alone a country, the only thing Labour ever do is bankrupt the country.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:24 pm
point nine one eight wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:53 am Denmark is refusing to give state aid to firms that pay dividends to share holders and registered in tax havens, now that I like
Definitely sounding more Labour by the day.

Welcome to I-Keir.
Not a chance Dis, been there,done it, got the T shirt
Orientinoz
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientinoz »

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Orientinoz wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 am This is interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BpwndRgw-kI

Not so strange when you hear him say

From A-Z
Aids to Zika
mers sars ebola .

Typical far right making sh*t up to fit there narative.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

RoryRocks wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:27 pm I see 502 of the 730 deaths in Ireland happened in residential care settings. That most mean the true figure in the UK is off the charts.

No mass gatherings of 5000 or more in Ireland up until at least the end of August. I can't see the UK going down a different route TBH. What do you all think?
Completely agree.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

There will be a difference between countries and I don't think you can translate what is happening in Ireland to here. A sweeping generalisation but the difference in the health system and role of private insurance in Ireland means that more care homes there have nursing staff and take on a clinical roles that we wouldn't expect here. The unpicking of differences between countries will keep academics busy for years to come but picking a number from one country and using it to make a point about somewhere else isn't useful.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Mick McQuaid wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm There will be a difference between countries and I don't think you can translate what is happening in Ireland to here. A sweeping generalisation but the difference in the health system and role of private insurance in Ireland means that more care homes there have nursing staff and take on a clinical roles that we wouldn't expect here. The unpicking of differences between countries will keep academics busy for years to come but picking a number from one country and using it to make a point about somewhere else isn't useful.
This is useful.

On Radio 4 this morning on the "More or Less" programme which gets behind the numbers in the news headlines etc it was pointed out that the UK is "busier" than Ireland.

By that they meant there are more people arriving and moving around in the UK than in Ireland. Hence, the difference in infection rates and deaths.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I have a feeling the lockdown will end just as it started, but in reverse. Companies etc will take it upon themselves to gradually resume work and activity, then the govt will give a go ahead.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:24 pm
Mick McQuaid wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm There will be a difference between countries and I don't think you can translate what is happening in Ireland to here. A sweeping generalisation but the difference in the health system and role of private insurance in Ireland means that more care homes there have nursing staff and take on a clinical roles that we wouldn't expect here. The unpicking of differences between countries will keep academics busy for years to come but picking a number from one country and using it to make a point about somewhere else isn't useful.
This is useful.

On Radio 4 this morning on the "More or Less" programme which gets behind the numbers in the news headlines etc it was pointed out that the UK is "busier" than Ireland.

By that they meant there are more people arriving and moving around in the UK than in Ireland. Hence, the difference in infection rates and deaths.
also the UK is more densely populated than Ireland.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

JimbO wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:29 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:24 pm
This is useful.

also the UK is more densely populated than Ireland.
Yes that was mentioned too.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

763 deaths. 4451 new cases. The numbers just dont seem to be coming down.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

After 4 weeks+ of lockdown now. It just doesn't make any sense.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Unless this is the steady state position, even with the limited activity still going on around the country. Awful if that's the case.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Just had to pop down to the chemist to pick up my pescription &
Hoe street looked nearly as busy as any day for drivers.
Lots of people out & about for food to, very few wearing masks
Down the high street .

Dont think its to suprising that I've now seen it.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:14 pm 763 deaths. 4451 new cases. The numbers just dont seem to be coming down.
Could regional impact be part of this?

I think I saw an article today/yesterday where they charted the deaths by day of death (up to around a week/two weeks ago) and that seemed to suggest things had evened out/starting to improve. Will take a look for it.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

RedO wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:39 pm After 4 weeks+ of lockdown now. It just doesn't make any sense.
No, but you'd kind of hope that there's someone at government level who could explain it.

Maybe we should look closely at Germany, or any other better performing government, and see if they're doing anything majorly different to us during lockdown.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:14 pm 763 deaths. 4451 new cases. The numbers just dont seem to be coming down.
Could regional impact be part of this?

I think I saw an article today/yesterday where they charted the deaths by day of death (up to around a week/two weeks ago) and that seemed to suggest things had evened out/starting to improve. Will take a look for it.
That data is here https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... ly-deaths/

Its kind of come down from about 800 a day to 600ish over the last fortnight.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I believe new cases should be the first thing to come down, but they're still in the 4000's.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

tuffers#1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:46 pm Just had to pop down to the chemist to pick up my pescription &
Hoe street looked nearly as busy as any day for drivers.
Lots of people out & about for food to, very few wearing masks
Down the high street .

Dont think its to suprising that I've now seen it.
Maybe we're just not enforcing the lockdown enough then. Many other Countries require you to carry a form, timed & dated, stating what you're out and about for. This enables easier enforcement of the rules. Maybe we should do this in the UK. Maybe it isn't the headline grabbing seaside visits that are the main problem, perhaps it's just a general lack of adhering to the rules in some areas. If this isn't stamped on by the police then it's going to continue uninterrupted and that's not going to help reduce the spread of the virus is it.