Orient squad test positive for Covid

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Re: Orient squad test positive for Covid

Post by Top of the JES »

The Sun are reporting EIGHTEEN cases of Covid among Players and Staff.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... virus-off/

We may never know how many but there has to be questions asked about the O's medical staff.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:47 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm
I partially agree but when 9 players come down with something in the middle of a pandemic, you get them tested. Simple as that.
Its a tough one to call .
Medical people say its not
You have your own doubts ,
24 players @ £200 a pop minimum

Thats £5k right off the bat

Peanuts i know but with all clubs under pressure
Maybe some of the tv money being held by the EFL for television rights, should be set aside for clubs to have full testing once a month minimum .

That way clubs arent pushed even closer to financial meltdown .
That’s the thing, you trust the medical staff to make the decision. They should have tested the few at the start of the week and gone from there. It’s obviously rife in league 1 and 2.

The loss of £5k at the start of the week could have saved Orient getting £125k from Sky.
I dont disagree with that ,
However spending 5 k when a doctor/ medical team have told you everybody is supposedly ok is still a push .

Testing earlier would only have shown players had it or didnt have it . There were 5 or 6 with sime bug symptoms for the plymouth game wasnt there , then more after mansfield still not showing virus symptins .
That onky became clear after the mansfield game.

Sounds to me like it may have been in since the 1st game or possibly earlier .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 pm
I partially agree but when 9 players come down with something in the middle of a pandemic, you get them tested. Simple as that.

Maybe some of the tv money being held by the EFL for television rights, should be set aside for clubs to have full testing once a month minimum .

I mean, like any job, there was nothing stopping the club sending the ill players off to nhs testing spots, was there? Unless I’m missing something?
My sister had an NHS test 5 or 6 weeks ago .
Was told she needed to self isolate for 2 weeks
Once the 2 weeks had passed she went to hospital for her operation to remove a cancerous mole from her eye lid,
( hence the test & isolation, protecting the health service )
When she got there for her Op she asked them
" so i assume the test result was negative ?" ,

Oh we dont get told that , then we just assume as you were not contacted your test was negative.

So im not overly sure how great this testing is .
To this day she still doesnt know what the result was.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 pm Bit more info. Mansfield making a complaint because of Boss’ comments pre match

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2 ... ssion=true
So I just checked the NHS website you only get tested if you have covid symptoms.

Coronavirus symptoms are:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough
a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

I cannot believe how irresponsible the UK govt/nhs is, no wonder things are so bad in the UK. Compare to Australia's stance:

If you have cold or flu like symptoms, such as a cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath or runny nose, even if these are mild, you should get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible. People with mild symptoms can still spread the virus. To help stop the spread of COVID-19, anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms should get tested.

I'm also perplexed by the lack of rules around testing in the professional sporting sphere. But when your leaders are so laxed about it I guess it just filters down to everyone else.
Ralphs Coate
Fresh Alias

Post by Ralphs Coate »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:38 pm
Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:31 pm
RedO wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Irrelevant, can't catch it at school.
Children can absolutely catch and transmit C-19 at school but their symptoms are less severe, if apparent at all. Which is why the elderly and the vulnerable must take all reasonable precautions around children as well as adults.
I think RedO was being sarcastic
Of Course he/she was.
Ralphs Coate
Fresh Alias

Post by Ralphs Coate »

Adz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:31 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 pm Bit more info. Mansfield making a complaint because of Boss’ comments pre match

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2 ... ssion=true
So I just checked the NHS website you only get tested if you have covid symptoms.

Coronavirus symptoms are:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough
a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

I cannot believe how irresponsible the UK govt/nhs is, no wonder things are so bad in the UK. Compare to Australia's stance:

If you have cold or flu like symptoms, such as a cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath or runny nose, even if these are mild, you should get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible. People with mild symptoms can still spread the virus. To help stop the spread of COVID-19, anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms should get tested.

I'm also perplexed by the lack of rules around testing in the professional sporting sphere. But when your leaders are so laxed about it I guess it just filters down to everyone else.
Exactly, We Downunder have managed to keep this Covid b*stard in check.
UK and England in particular have made an absolute Pigs Ear out of it.
I am Leyton born, English and proud to be. But I aint arf glad I am living in Australia.
From this far away I am able to see how far the UK has fallen.
What with the Governments handling of Covid, Brexit, and the fact that H.P Sauce is now made in Holland ;)
I am saddened and I can't believe I was seriously considering moving back after 51 years just before the last election. I love Orient and England and the Pubs and Pie and Mash etc etc but FFS what a mess it is.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I keep receiving text messages telling me that a women named Charlotte Dobson is covid free. I’ve had about 10 of them now so I guess someone is getting a lot of tests done.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 pm
Winchesterfan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:58 pm

9 f*cking players all ill in the last week and club/medical staff didn’t think it was Covid?
That is your version of what was actually stated in that wonderful factual, biased, leftie newspaper. You can twist anything to make it suite your agenda why do you hate orient and it’s management so much?
I’ll make it easy for you because you seem a bit simple.

At the time Embleton stressed it was “not a Covid issue for any of us to worry about” and after the game he revealed that as many as “nine players” were struggling to play because of a “bug”. Orient’s doctor and head physio conducted regular medical checks and are understood to have felt comfortable the symptoms reported by players were unrelated to Covid-19 until last Friday, when it became apparent a couple of players were suffering from symptoms linked to the virus.

‘9 players’ are in quote marks, that means it’s a direct quote. It’s also in the same sentence as RE saying ‘it’s not a covid issue’. Therefore, those quotes are attributes to RE. Whether you want to believe the next part or not is up to you but either those 9 players were tested and the tests came back negative or they weren’t tested and the medical staff waited until the Friday before they realised it could be covid. Which then begs the question, why was the game on Saturday played?

I don’t hate the club or have an agenda (unlike you, with the Guardian). These players, RE and the fans could potentially not get to be involved with a big game for the club and the club go without a lot of TV money. Everyone loses because of a wrong decision.
That's fair. And the fact we were so open about so many players being ill but nobody thought this was odd and flagged it as potentially being more than it appeared to be. Even if the doctor cleared it did no senior staff really think it was odd and push back on such a coincidence?
Unless they knew what it was likely to be and went and played the game anyway. We would think that if it was another club so should think the same if it’s our own. If so, we’ll Cummings did it. Poor form though. Mansfield players may have elderly grand parents etc. It doesn’t help the situation.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I'm baffled this game hasn't officially been called off yet
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It'll be interesting to hear the club's version of event here, but so far it sounds like we have serious questions to answer. The picture that is emerging is one of serious negligence and disregard for public health. Should be the case, Orient need to hope that public authorities do not seek to make an example of them.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:24 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I mean, like any job, there was nothing stopping the club sending the ill players off to nhs testing spots, was there? Unless I’m missing something?
My sister had an NHS test 5 or 6 weeks ago .
Was told she needed to self isolate for 2 weeks
Once the 2 weeks had passed she went to hospital for her operation to remove a cancerous mole from her eye lid,
( hence the test & isolation, protecting the health service )
When she got there for her Op she asked them
" so i assume the test result was negative ?" ,

Oh we dont get told that , then we just assume as you were not contacted your test was negative.

So im not overly sure how great this testing is .
To this day she still doesnt know what the result was.
I've had 2 covid tests done ( when I have my blood tests for my hymophelia ) not heard anything so presume I'm all clear 🤔🤔
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Dunners wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am It'll be interesting to hear the club's version of event here, but so far it sounds like we have serious questions to answer. The picture that is emerging is one of serious negligence and disregard for public health. Should be the case, Orient need to hope that public authorities do not seek to make an example of them.
I'm not aware of anything negligent done or not done by the club.

Yes people have got Covid-19, but that doesn't mean club were seriously negligent, nor does it show a disregard for public health.
Oiram
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Oiram »

I heard from a reliable source that at least18 in squad, players and staff tested positive. Also they are trying to muster up a team to play the match so they can get the money! May field a team of youngsters!
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

If anyone from the club is reading this and we’re still short, just DM me - I can be at the ground for 5.30 ish.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Aberdeen and Celtic had a couple of league games postponed due to players testing positive. Was any action taken against them?
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

Oiram wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am I heard from a reliable source that at least18 in squad, players and staff tested positive. Also they are trying to muster up a team to play the match so they can get the money! May field a team of youngsters!
Sounds like, from what I've heard, Spurs aint keen on playing the youth team; just in case they get infected. Can understand that, especially with the Europa League coming up.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

We need to show Spurs some respect and withdraw.
It would be unfair if any of their players or management contracted the virus due to our insistence on playing the match.

Also I think Spurs did a noble thing offering to pay for the testing.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Loyal_Supporter wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 am
Oiram wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am I heard from a reliable source that at least18 in squad, players and staff tested positive. Also they are trying to muster up a team to play the match so they can get the money! May field a team of youngsters!
Sounds like, from what I've heard, Spurs aint keen on playing the youth team; just in case they get infected. Can understand that, especially with the Europa League coming up.
Let Spurs forfeit the game then if they don't want to play.

Imagine the precedent that will set if certain teams refuse to play others on ifs, buts and maybes.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 am Aberdeen and Celtic had a couple of league games postponed due to players testing positive. Was any action taken against them?
Yes , both got fined (yesterday coincidentally) £30k each. £8 upfront and £22k suspended. All money collected going to the Scottish leagues charity partner.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am

Imagine the precedent that will set if certain teams refuse to play others on ifs, buts and maybes.
Could have a shout there. We keep hearing about their 'packed schedule' (waaah).

I'm sure they could do without another game each week and us being able to play Chelsea in a few weeks would be a massive boost for us.
kokomO
Fresh Alias

Post by kokomO »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am We need to show Spurs some respect and withdraw.
It would be unfair if any of their players or management contracted the virus due to our insistence on playing the match.

Also I think Spurs did a noble thing offering to pay for the testing.
Wasn’t noble, nothing of the sort. they were just protecting their own. Peanuts for a multi billion pound organisation. Nothing about doing it for leyton Orient.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

It’s not if they don’t want to play, it’s whether Orient can field a minimum squad that are covid free.

The only precedent set here is Orient are riddled with a highly infectious disease that wasn’t found until Spurs paid for the squad to be tested. There’s no ifs, buts or maybes about it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

It’s not if they don’t want to play, it’s whether Orient can field a minimum squad that are covid free.

The only precedent set here is Orient are riddled with a highly infectious disease that wasn’t found until Spurs paid for the squad to be tested. There’s no ifs, buts or maybes about it.
Well, if we can put together a team of players who haven't been involved with the first team and we can get them tested and CAN field a team. If spurs then dont want to take the risk by playing that team then its them who are forfeiting, not us.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 am Well, if we can put together a team of players who haven't been involved with the first team and we can get them tested and CAN field a team. If spurs then dont want to take the risk by playing that team then its them who are forfeiting, not us.
I am Covid free and can dig my boots out for a run around. Well I can run for the first sixty seconds.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Proper testing of all EFL Clubs may well result in many more cases being identified. This is a wake up call to the EFL who have had so many wake up calls over the years on simple issues that they pretend are so complicated that the machine has been switched off owing to a lack of brain stem activity. Either find the resources to help lower league Clubs do the job properly or stop pretending that a half arsed solution is adequate. It quite clearly isn’t and there ain’t the money around in most Club’s own budgets to do the job properly and survive.
Last edited by Omygawd on Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.